Illinois Flyway Forum Sponsors

Looking at some old kill records i kept.....

Discussion in 'Illinois Flyway Forum' started by cornbuzzzard, Jan 3, 2010.

1. cornbuzzzard

cornbuzzzard Senior Refuge Member

in 1991, i made a note that rend had 165,000 geese! :reader I remember those days.....barely! I remember the bottoms by my house having 10's of thousands of geese.:grvn

2. Ilbucksndux

Ilbucksndux Elite Refuge Member

Those were the days.

3. skybroom

skybroom Elite Refuge Member

And now 20,000 is the motherload:(

4. Leland

Leland Elite Refuge Member<br>In Memory<br>12/12/61 - 02/

I remember over Lake Shelbyville the geese would block the sun the flocks were so large .

5. webfoot78

webfoot78 Elite Refuge Member

Yeah, I can remember spending lots of nights in the boat off Lumbrusco, Honkers Point, County Line....

Those were the days that made me the addict I am today. Great memories...

Lets step back in time and drudge up a few good ones, I remember:

"the crew"...sleeping in the boat with dad...idiots in treestands out in the dead timber pass shooting 100 yard geese, parking lot antics ("tire jacks", fist fights, sign in box threats, etc), wardens swarming you on the ramps....listening to the reports through the static on the AM station, changing clothes at the rest area, my brother punching me in the nose for gauking at geese instead of helping set decoys....

Shot my first goose band not too far from a certain Mickey D's.... A pair that came low off the lake, what a great memory. All by myself skipping school, just the lab and me.:grvn

When I was 12 or 13 my dad and I worked on a new blind boat every night after school all one October. Didn't know it then, but it was one of the best times of my life. I can still see dad working, and me being just old enough to really pitch in. Dad was strong back in those days, commercial fishermans skin and tough as nails...that's how I like to remember him...before cancer...

Building that Roughneck was the first thing I'd ever done that I'd had real pride in. Time spent with dad then was torture, what I wouldn't do to step back in time now. I remember him scolding me for dropping the "f" word and his lecture about how once you say things like that they just keep popping out...turns out he was right.

And the very best part is i can still hear him preaching:

"Boy, it ain't the killin' the matters...it's the gettin' ready, the goin' and the being there"

As a kid I used to roll my eyes behind his back and scoff at how corny it was...little did I know it's the most important lesson he'd ever pass on to me.

Yeah, I remember the good ol' days at Rend.....

6. dukkalr

dukkalr Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

you paint a good picture,, i can see it thru your words

commercial fisherman eh,,, spent many a day on the wrong end of the rope haulin in hoop nets,,,, fond memories:no:no

don't ever mess with a man with no elbows, he be strong as an ox,,, and prolly jus as hardheaded too,,,:yes:amen:yes

7. Old Olt

Old Olt Senior Refuge Member

Time to start putting pen to paper Webfoot (or word processor to laser printer), you have a talent there.

8. Gecko

Gecko Senior Refuge Member

Yeah, I think you're right. You don't really gain that perspective until you've been there done that, and then when you have your own kids and want to share the same experiences with them. I enjoyed your thoughts, thanks for sharing.

9. greenheadIL

greenheadIL Elite Refuge Member

Great memories webfoot78. Guessing 78 was year you where born that puts us about the same age. I too have very fond memories of that lake with my father also. From trolling thru the woods in what seemed like pitch black darkness. To sitting at west casey or silo at dusk and watching and listening to 1000s of duck pouring into the subs for the night. A few cold night sleeping in the bed of the truck at east casey fork. Killing my 1st goose in a pit we leased just a few miles form the refuge. And not being able to get the roar of canada geese out of your head as you try to got to sleep.

10. Steve Peacock

Steve Peacock Senior Refuge Member

How 'bout going to bed at night, closing your eyes and all you can see is geese working and committing. I remember when 30,000 was a "huntable" number of geese at Rend. Now I would just like to see some there. Just hunted the weekends and could NEVER sleep Friday night. Luckily for me my dad was and still is my best and favorite hunting partner. I remember, I think it was '93, there was a big blizzard up north and ALL the geese left Wisconsin and Northern Illinois. They fought a strong south wind all the way and most sat down at Rend as soon as they saw it. 165,000 - 180,000 geese were there. Dad and I wouldn't fight the crowds trying to run out to the end of Lambrosco and hunted a cut bean field just south of the parking lot about 250 yards away. It was bitter (like 8 below), in 2 weekends we killed 18 geese (uncle went once) usually by 8am. One morning had a dozen working us then geese started to show up from everywhere and soon had 500 - 600 working within 30 yards above us. The original dozen passed over us (lying in the decoys) twice so close you could reach up and grab them. Still remember the sound of the wind tearing through their secondaries. Finally started shooting when they set down 10 yards away. Would love to show my son a day like that.