Illinois Flyway Forum Sponsors

Looking at some old kill records i kept.....

Discussion in 'Illinois Flyway Forum' started by cornbuzzzard, Jan 3, 2010.

1. webfoot78

webfoot78 Elite Refuge Member

2. Skycarp33

Skycarp33 Elite Refuge Member

A bit behind the times of southern IL geese but it used to be a blast going to the Bluegill hole in Nason when Hacker had it open. i remember the days when we would kill out and go there until we got up to go for the next day!!!!!Or, we didn't get a good draw and just went there and started drinking with Peggy at 7 am!!!

3. Zonkers

Zonkers Senior Refuge Member

Now there was a good time. Is the Hackers still in Nason? Havent seen them in a long time.

4. DuckN66

DuckN66 Senior Refuge Member

I can't believe I have read this whole thing! Very cool.

Talking about Glynn Scobey calls, I have one of his call I bought from him personally and still use it today. Just killed geese with it yesterday as a matter of fact.

Being from KS we I always heard about southern Ill and the goose hunting but never realized how huge it was until I read this thread. Growing up waterfowling thats all I ever remember reading about in the 70's and 80's.

Was there ever a time in that area that a guy could knock on a farmers door and ask permission to hunt without the almighty dollar exchanging hands? If so when did that stop and leasing begin?

Not sure how much fun it would be to have to race with a trolling motor to get your spot to hunt for the morning then come back and find your tires slashed. :scratch

Wow how hunting has changed. I would guess in Northern Ill a guy can't hunt unless he has the $$$ to lease??? Probably no drawings for blinds up there??

5. Avian Thunder II

Avian Thunder II Elite Refuge Member

DN66:
    You can get permission to hunt private land today in SI.............as long as it isn
    't land that adjoins a refuge or has some characteristic (large ponds, etc?) that makes the ground particularly attractive to waterfowl. The most expensive land almost always butts up against refuge land at one of the 3 state or 1 national refuge located in the 4-county zone and in Jefferson county (Rend Lake). During the 1970s, we hunted geese on land east of Horseshoe (less than one-half mile from the NE part of the refuge) for no compensation to the landowner who was Elliot Rafferty who lived in Wyatt MO. He farmed 5,000 acres in Alexander county; however, hunting on his ground NE of the refuge was not good enough for a commercial operation. When large numbers of canada geese would arrive at the "Shoe" in Dec. each year, their sheer numbers would result in birds using the grain fields east of the refuge. Otherwise, most of the traffic was historically to the west toward the sandbars of the mighty MS. :)

6. THEIRCOMMITED10

THEIRCOMMITED10 |Moderator Fishing|Call Sponsor| Sponsor Moderator

Ran into these today along with a slew of stories from ' the good ole days '.

Reminded me of this thread. Which in my opinion is one of the best on this entire website !!

Heres one to bump it back to the top. Get some more trivia going .

Name the owner and operator at the 'Goose Pit' bar and grill?

[​IMG]

7. DEADEYE

DEADEYE Elite Refuge Member

Dang I should know this,I can remember eating breakfest family style there,and drinking under age:l

8. Steve Peacock

Steve Peacock Senior Refuge Member

In ALL of Southern Illinois!! I got the counts going way back, 800 - 900,000 in Southern Illinois/West Kentucky several years. I've been waterfowl hunting in Southern Illinois for about 33 years and probably have the counts going back at least 25 years. My boy just hunts every so often, just wish he could experience what I did when I was his age. You couldn't keep me out of the fields!

9. PublicHuntinFool

PublicHuntinFool Refuge Member

even though i am only 25 i long for the days when i was sittin in a blind that my uncle and dad had built, in a field just west of grassy bay on crab orchard and watchin honkers flood out of the refuge and make their way towards us. rememberin the coleman propane stove that used to cook eggs on and the single shot 20 gauge i used til i was 10 and dad bought me an 870. what a sight to watch those big honkers come through the fog and backpedal for dear life when they finally saw ya.

10. Hairshark

Hairshark Elite Refuge Member

I've stumbled on to some old delapitated blinds that had the old charcoal burner/heaters in them. Of course they were all rusted out but just goes to show what they used back in the old days,,,,,,way before my time I might add.