Illinois Flyway Forum Sponsors

Looking at some old kill records i kept.....

Discussion in 'Illinois Flyway Forum' started by cornbuzzzard, Jan 3, 2010.

1. THEIRCOMMITED10

THEIRCOMMITED10 |Moderator Fishing|Call Sponsor| Sponsor Moderator

Man . . I figured this one would go quick !! Wheres AvianII and Capt.

2. Avian Thunder II

Avian Thunder II Elite Refuge Member

I can't do it; hell, I can't even remember the name of the folks who ran the dumpy little motel (woo, stinky) down the road from the pit. The "goose pit" did serve one heck of a good breakfast...not real healthy by today's standards but mmmmmmmmmmmmm good!

3. THEIRCOMMITED10

THEIRCOMMITED10 |Moderator Fishing|Call Sponsor| Sponsor Moderator

Hey, its no worries AT !! Just happy to see these posts back to the top so more people can enjoy the reading .

4. drylok

drylok Elite Refuge Member

Charcoal burners? I think I know what yer talking about but anyone have a pic of one of those?

5. Berganser

Berganser Elite Refuge Member

I called my dad and he couldn't think of any names. Old Fart:dv
    I remember eating there, "oh boy" and as a young boy puttin' it away.
    Now I'd eat, and have to run for the Shi!!er:tu
    Sleepy's Bar--a few years back, totally smoked! Wasn't pretty:z
    Only hunted a few places down there.
    Miller-Grace, Blakemore's, Paul Morgans and one up at Union. Can't remember the name. Starts with a "G", I know that. and the Horseshoe Lake State site

6. Pirogue

Pirogue Senior Refuge Member

Paul Morgans was at Union and called Running Lake Club . Was the other maybe Grassy Lake ?

P

7. 3inch3's

3inch3's Illinois Forum Moderator Moderator

I remember an old olt that I got that looked a lot like the D2 duck call. Some guy took it and modded it to be like a short reed. It was a L22 I think. Took more wind than a hurricane to blow but it worked:yes

Didn't get many geese on the east side so never geared for them. Used to deer hunt south of crab orchard and sometimes when they were heading one to Union late in the year we'd get a couple with our bows:tu

Duck calls of course started wit the D2 when you could buy one for ~$3 and left a few in the bottoms during the early days of taxidermy season:cool: Got me a yentzen and was in tall cotton. Remember buying one of the knight and hale duck calls the first year they hit the market. First single reed I had since the D2 but man could a guy work ducks with it. Still have one I bought dad one year for Christmas.. Learned early on that sometimes the best call is to leave it in your pocket:bow

8. Berganser

Berganser Elite Refuge Member

Yeah Morgans was at Union. I just didn't edit that part. Other club is next to Grassy. Gander Flats, that's it!!!! When I hunted there it was $50 a day. So it's been awhile.

9. Avian Thunder II

Avian Thunder II Elite Refuge Member

was twice the rate it was 50 years ago in 1960; then you could hunt for 20-25 bucks. And $2/00-3.00 to get one picked/cleaned. Don't know if they were the good old days; only that they were different - mainly silos and a few not-so-well painted shells in field hunting. Unless, of course, you chose to place your "general fibre" paper-mache (sp?) goose floaters (made in St. Louis) on dowel rods and use them in the field. :)

10. DEADEYE

DEADEYE Elite Refuge Member

I can remember $25.00 a day hunting.And 3 bucks to pick at Jack Thomas's