Shooting and Reloading Forum Sponsors

looking for 20 ga 1 oz steel

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Billy Bob, Dec 14, 2016.

1. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

I've been looking for 20 ga 3" 1 oz steel to order but can't seem to find any places that have them. If any of you guys can point me in the right direction it will be appreciated.

Thank you.

2. skywatcher1

skywatcher1 Elite Refuge Member

3. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

Estate has 1oz 20 gauge loads. Go to ammoseek and do a search for 20 gauge ammo and you will see sources and prices.

leftyhunter likes this.
  4. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

Just as a note... Those 1 oz. steel loads knock me around as much or more (in my lighter 20 ga.) than my standard 1 1/8 oz 12 ga. loads in my 12 ga. fowling piece.

5. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

6. Billy Bob

I considered that but I have a heavy old pump 20 that weighs as much as most of my 12's (all steel and wood stocks) and the recoil is pretty tame with the 1 oz loads.

I decided to go with the Estate loads of #4's @ 1330 fps. I plan on using it for close range diver hunting with shots from 10 to 25 yards and want the extra 1/8 oz of shot.

Thank you all for the help.

7. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

If you are shooting at 25 yards and less, the extra 1/8oz of shot probably isn't going to make much difference.

8. Billy Bob

While this may be true, I still prefer more pellets for divers for more chances for pellets in the head. I have never liked the patterns from the 3" 7/8 oz loads @ 1500-1550 fps

9. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Tuleman has a point, to a point. The first shells I got when I switched to the 20ga were Kents Faststeel, 7/8 at 1500. They killed fine. In fact, better than fine, I was very pleased.

That said, pellets kill, not speed. I was just as happy with the 1oz loads from Remington at 1330. I thought that was a little slow, but was willing to give them a try. Again, very pleased. The Remington Nitro's have 1oz, and going 1400fps, and I think that is the sweet spot. They will be all I buy from now on, assuming they keep running that $50 off a case rebate.

API likes this.
  10. Dave in AZ

Dave in AZ Senior Refuge Member

Problem I have with them is #4s... 190 pellets in 1 oz, but maybe 7 yards less effective range than #3s, and maybe not enough to cover some angles out near edge of decoys. I've had a few times on mud-flats where the closest cover I could get to water and decoys was 35 yards, making 30-40 yard shots likely-- I want #3s for that, with 152 pellets in 1 oz.

With the limited ranges you're shooting #4s or #3s, maybe 25-35 yards, I'd think 152 pellets are plenty, it's not hard to get most of them in the pattern at 30 yards or so where you're looking at using 4s...

Some of you guys seem to have shot enough 4s vs. 3s to know, in 20ga loadings... do the extra pellets of #4s give enough advantage to make up for the reduced penetration than #3s? I know the increased pellets give a better chance of head/neck hits where almost no penetration is needed, but is the tradeoff actually there, better results in the field? I'm hand-loading 1oz of #3s at 1485fps, and just can't get myself to try the #4s yet...