Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

Looking for a direction to go

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by cholt, Jan 22, 2018.

1. cholt

cholt Senior Refuge Member

I have never hunted snow geese and was thinking about a spring hunt just don’t know much about it. Wondering if any of y’all that hunt them all the time know of any good guides or need a extra gun in the mix. I have heard Missouri may be my best bet but as I said I have no clue about these birds in the spring. Any help is appreciated

2. fboutdoors

fboutdoors Senior Refuge Member

What area are you looking to hunt Illinois, Missouri, Arkansas etc

3. marshmob

marshmob Senior Refuge Member

Nw mo is comparable to a public marsh on the duck opener. I’ve heard good reviews on se mo and of course Arkansas. Tony Toye has always had good reviews. Not sure if he’s still an active member on here or not though.

4. cholt

cholt Senior Refuge Member

Really no specific place I know the birds are on the move that time of year so traveling won’t be a problem

5. hannibal

hannibal Senior Refuge Member

Have never hunted with either one but Tony Toye and Tracy Northrup have been around a long time and have heard good things about both. Toye is still.in NW MO and Northrup is in NE rain water basin. Both are in good flyways.

I would focus on AR, SE MO, NW MO or SD.

I hunt NW MO. If going that to that area would try to time hunt between 3/1-3/15. Generally will have killable birds around that time.

6. fboutdoors

fboutdoors Senior Refuge Member

Premier flight in Arkansas is a good group of guys

7. jzoo

jzoo Senior Refuge Member

If you want a great opportunity to kill ALOT of geese...I seen snow addictions has an opening Jan 29-31 in AR.

8. Geez n Quackers

Geez n Quackers Senior Refuge Member

It used to be that Arkansas was an overlooked spring snow goose destination. Now that it has become the predominant kick-off location for spring snow goose hunting, I think it has negatively impacted NW MO. Not to say there is still not good spring snow goose hunting to be had here, but it is not as consistent for a lengthy period of time like it used to be. I can't see driving from Alabama past NW Arkansas to go to any other location if you can go any time you want.

9. jzoo

jzoo Senior Refuge Member

I think lack of a snow line the past few years have also hurt the area. We have had zero snow in Nebraska to hold the birds back. Hell, 2 days ago there were several reports of decent sized (5k+) feeds in NE. I also know of 400 that died in NW colorado over the weekend.

10. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

No real winter pushing birds to the deep South, no snow/freeze line and a huge drastic warm-up as soon as the season starts is hurting more than anything.