Looking for a GHG cinnamon teal decoy

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by liv2hnt, Feb 6, 2018.

1. Brottboss

Brottboss Elite Refuge Member

My son and I hunted a NVR rice patty one year so we took on a challenge of shooting nothing but teal. We ended with limits of teal, both greenwings and Cinnamons.
    Back at the truck I broke out the skillet and breasted two of each. A little salt/pepper was all that was used. You couldn't tell the difference in the two. Maybe it was a similar diet, or maybe they hadn't visited the local brackish water, but they were ok.
    This comes from a guy who feeds spoons to his cats, I mean dogs,,,,,no self respecting waterfowler owns cats lol.

Now back to the topic.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  2. liv2hnt

liv2hnt New Member

That is very encouraging! I appreciate the information. Please forgive my ignorance, but what is NVR? Full disclosure...I too have a cat...well, my daughters do anyway. So I don't judge! Ha ha.

3. Brottboss

Brottboss Elite Refuge Member

North Valley Refuge.

No offense on the cat, its not yours.

4. RefugeHunter

RefugeHunter Elite Refuge Member

So here's the story:

Cinnamon teal nest in California and then move South to Southern California and Mexico in mid to late October.

They are a beautiful bird.

Usually you'll see them right around the opener in the Suisun Marsh, Sacramento Valley, Grasslands, Mendota and Kern NWR. But they are often not fully plumed yet.

Then towards the tail end of duck season (last couple weeks of January) they start to move back up depending weather and water conditions down south. During this time they will also be in the the Grasslands, Mendota and Kern NWR. However, I have shot a cinn as far north as Colusa in January.

You best bet for a dark red mature drake is probably Kern or Mendota during the last week of duck season.

5. liv2hnt

liv2hnt New Member

That is great info! Thank you very much! I will start doing my homework on those refuges now. I can't tell you all how much I appreciate your help!

6. Winchester 1897

Winchester 1897 Elite Refuge Member

I've shot em at Delevan, seen them at Howard, Colusa, Sac, Llano Seco, and just down the road from my house in Dec and January.

To the OP, this year was a fairly unusual year, lots of CITE didn't move. 4/5 radio collared birds stayed right around where they were banded in NV, all of the radio collared California birds didn't move. Colorado's and Utah's stuck around to the end too if I remember right.

If next season is as warm as it was this season, i wouldn't be surprised of you could go to Summer lake and not shoot a CITE.

7. DesertMallards

DesertMallards Senior Refuge Member

Kern is a sure bet in January for cinnies...7 Drakes red as ever, blacked out bellies.

8. Refugeguy

Refugeguy Elite Refuge Member

Kern or dota. Passed on lots in jan

9. liv2hnt

liv2hnt New Member

Excellent thank you so much for the info. I can't wait to try it next season!

10. J.Bennett

J.Bennett Elite Refuge Member

If you decide to make a road trip to get a cinn, be sure to give this thread a bump come December/January, as I'm sure there's plenty of guys here that would be willing to help you out.