Looking for feedback on Smokercraft boats

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by freefall, Nov 15, 2017.

1. freefall

freefall Elite Refuge Member

I found a Smokercraft boat (mod V) and am interested in buying it to replace my leaky Tracker. The boat is 5 or 6 hours away so getting my hands on it to kick the tires is tough.

Do any of you own one? I'd like to get some feedback before I make a decision to drive all the way up there.

Thanks.

2. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

I had one of their canoes many years ago... It seemed to be a decent build/quality.

freefall likes this.
  3. hatch

hatch New Member

Smokercraft is a good boat. I work at a dealership that sells them. Are you looking at a 1660 Jon boat now called the Sportsman. They are a wide open boat with the flotation in the floors and sides leaving the deck wide open.

4. justahunter

justahunter Senior Refuge Member

If there's no wiring under the floor then get it I've had to replace the wiring in a couple smoker craft boats due to wires being bad under the floor an what a pain it was to pull the floor up

5. Dek

Dek Elite Refuge Member

It seems like most of the boats are now made by a few manufacturers, so if it is newer, it may well be "something" else as well. Good luck if you make the drive to go see it.

6. freefall

freefall Elite Refuge Member

I'm redneck, I'd be fine with re routing wiring in conduit under the rail.

BAYDOG likes this.
  7. Lives_to_hunt

Lives_to_hunt Elite Refuge Member

Had a 1860 back when they first came out. Developed a crack in the hull. They replaced it with a newer model with more internal structure. That was around 2000 so I assume they probably have it figured out...

8. ducksinwv

ducksinwv Refuge Member

I have an early 2000's model 1448 20in transom Smoker Craft. Been a great boat for me. Aluminum is thin gauge but the boat has been tough. Wish it was a little bigger and without the middle bench, but it serves it purpose for me.