Looking for some advice on purchasing a new F250/350...

Discussion in '4x4 / Truck Forum' started by Banded1, Jun 27, 2018.

1. Banded1

Banded1 Elite Refuge Member

I’m in the market for a new truck and having a hard time getting any kind of negotiating going with dealers. They just will not budge from “invoice price”. The only variable is my trade in. The truck I’m looking for is rather specific and in short supply. Two of them are 2017 models and still no negotiating, which surprises me. What gives? Is there just not that much room from that invoice price? I’m not opposed to the dealer making money, I’d just rather they not throw a party after I drive away. Any advice would be appreciated.

2. ARHHH4

ARHHH4 Senior Refuge Member

Keep an eye on them 17s the next few weeks as the new 19s roll onto the lot. Them guys will be looking to open up the inventory space on the lot. You may have better luck then.

Banded1 and WHUP ! Hen like this.
  3. Wareagle1

Wareagle1 Elite Refuge Member

Didn’t ford stop making those trucks for some time do to a fire at their plant?

4. Shirleyshusband

Shirleyshusband Elite Refuge Member

Bought a new '17 f350 diesel last fall. First I figured out exactly what I wanted on/in it. My big deal was payload. I worked with a local dealer for that. He printed that out. I told him up front I was going to get competitive pricing from two other dealers, so give me your best price. I also said there'd be some leeway as he spent a couple hours with me.
    One dealer was a little lower, the other was 2500 lower.
    Original guy came down 1500 but 1000 difference was too much for me.
    I ended up getting around 10% off of sticker.
    I did go back to the original/local dealership and gave the salesman $20, told him have lunch on me. I also get my service work done there.

Banded1 likes this.
  5. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

Rest assured there'll be no party because a truck sold at invoice price.
    In most cases if you want a specific truck that's in short supply you're gonna pony up for it.

6. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

The last two new vehicles I bought were in late 2013 and July of last year. I was in sales, so I traveled multiple states. I figured out what I wanted from research...did not waste my local dealer's time. Then I used manufacturer locators and visited dealer websites in about a five state area. For the Jeep I bought in '13 we traveled about 300 miles and I bought the truck last year from a dealer 45 minutes away after negotiating with four different high-volume dealers (over the web) for very similar vehicles.

Banded1 likes this.
  7. duckdown1

duckdown1 Elite Refuge Member

Honestly this is part of the problem what todays car biz! Invoice is just that its invoice that's what a dealer pays for a vehicle. The only thing built into that is holdback which is probably about $1500. If a dealer wants to negotiate that then go for it. But it better be on the dealers lot for them to do that. They aren't going to Dealer trade for it and go into holdback.

I will help you out though If you have a VIN# for it PM it to me and I'll give you the real deal on it. But I also need your zip code.

tcc likes this.
  8. JohnBZ

JohnBZ Elite Refuge Member

What's a rig like that go for nowadays ? My cargo van for work cost my employer 45k. I had a hard time wrapping my head around that figure for a shell cargo van with no shelving or bulkhead.

9. sdkidaho

sdkidaho Decoy, Gun Dog, Christian, Idaho, Montana/Wyoming Moderator Flyway Manager

10. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

Try JD power and Costco as starting points for getting fleet pricing. Good luck.