Looking for some advice

Discussion in 'Alaska Flyway Forum' started by NewbieDuckHunter, Jun 15, 2010.

1. NewbieDuckHunter

NewbieDuckHunter Senior Refuge Member

Strongly considering going to Alaska for a long trip this summer, probably a month, maybe a little longer. Primarily going just to see some new scenery and take advantage of the abundant fishing/hunting opportunities. I have heard great things about SE Alaska and will most likely end up going to that area. There's a chance I may be there for the first week or so of duck season, depending on how late I end up going. Anyway, I am looking for some advice on what city to go to. Keep in mind that I won't have a boat, (purchasing a kayak or canoe would definitely be an option) so would primarily be looking for nearby areas that provide the best fishing/hunting on public land that I won't need a boat to access. Any advice is greatly appreciated. I just got out of school and likely won't have another chance like this so I am trying to get all the information I can to make the trip as memorable as possible.
    Thanks

2. Ring King

Ring King Elite Refuge Member

For the Southeast with no boat I'd say Junea. It's more developed than most areas and has plenty of people and ammenities around. There tidal flat hunting can be done with a canoe or kayak.

If you want real adventure with a real taste of what Alaska is known for I'd head to Cordova. I'm kind of biased since I used to live there, but you can really get away from people and see more of the wild Alaska. A canoe or kayak would give you plenty of access and the protected waters of Orca Inlet would be accessible as well as all the rivers and lakes around town. You'd need a little junker car, but that can be found for a couple hundred bucks in town.

Cordova is a fishing town with just enough stores and ammenities to get by without getting too overboard. There's only one gas station, two grocery stores (small), a few little restaurants, and plenty of wildlife and scenery. There's hiking trails that would take you more than a year to cover, several forestry service cabins that can be hiked or paddled to, and there's always something to do each day. If you want detailed info or have any questions about it let me know. Just give me a call 904-412-4530

Oh yeah, my inlaws live there and run a salmon tender boat as well as a bed and breakfast if you need a place to stay.

I'm in the Coast Guard and while I was stationed up there I got to travel to Kodiak, Homer, Seward, Whittier, Anchorage, Chitna, Valdez, Cordova, Yakutat, Juneau, Baranof, Sitka, and Ketchikan. I can tell you a little about each one if you're interested.

Matt

3. Ring King

Sorry, one last thought. With just a junker car you could catch all the pinks and silvers that you could ever want from the bank. You could actually do it just outside of town by walking to Hippy Cove and fishing or if you had a bike you could easily make it to the Eyak River and the Ibek River where you could fish from shore. That would give you pinks, silvers, a chance at a king (Hippy Cove) sea run dollies, river dollies, and cut throat trout. People even catch Halibut off the fuel pier during late fall.

You'd be hard pressed to find any better duck hunting than Cordova either. There are brown bears, black bears, mountain goats, blacktail deer, moose, coyotes, wolves, rabbits, wolverine, otters (both sea and river), martin, ermine, beaver and just about any other Alaskan critter you can think of besides caribou and dahl sheep! It's an outdoorsman's paradise with out all the combat fishing!

You wouldn't happen to be from Placentia California would you? If so, sorry that I just missed your call! Oops! I was changing out some bearings on a trailer. Leave a message next time!

4. Erich_870

Erich_870 Senior Refuge Member

Ring King has given some excellent advice.

You don't technically need a kayak to hunt in Juneau. There are many spots that guys hike to just to pass shoot or with a bag of decoys.

If you set up a trip, let me know. I'd be happy to join you on a hunt.

I think the hardest part about traveling in SE Alaska is the cost. Ferry tickets are pretty steep. I've been meaning to check out Cordova but the ferry ticket was more than I wanted to spend for a 4 day trip. :eek:

Erich

5. Ring King

I'll be back in Cordorva this fall for a two week trip of hunting, hiking, camping, and fishing! If you want to make the trek just let me know and we'll try to set something up! You could always fly up Erich!

6. Erich_870

Erich_870 Senior Refuge Member

For fun I did some checking and by far the least expensive way to get to Cordova is by ferry to and from Valdez.

A round trip Alaska Air flight from Juneau is ~$350 per person, a ferry from Juneau is $2000+(includes family and rig), and you have to up to Whittier then back down to Cordova, but a ferry from Valdez is $320 round trip for the family with a rig.

I think I could talk my wife into a road trip to see Valdez and Cordova :tu

Erich

7. Ring King

Valdez is a really ugly town. I've mentioned moving there to my wife and she absolutely refusing just due to the "look" of the place. The access it gives you is tremedous. You can hunt anything you want including sheep within a short drive from there and the fishing out of Valdez is quite well known. The only reason I'd like to move there is b/c my work would be on land instead of being stationed on another boat. I like life at sea, but it really gets in the way when hunting season rolls around and I get stuck for all of Sept and Oct down in Hawaii!!

Cordova on the other hand is quite beautiful. Not as much so as Sitka (the most attractive place I visited while in Alaska), but far more than most of the other places I went. The attraction to Cordova, for me at least, is the lack of people. We're talking a population of around 1500 in the winter and around 3500 in the summer (commercial salmon fishing season). Even in the summer it's easy to get away from other folks. Plenty of areas to hunt where you don't see another person for days. In my three duck seasons up there I only had one day where I saw another duck hunter. Fortunately we passed each other on the river going in opposite directions. There just aren't that many folks that pursue ducks there.

The salmon fishing can go either way. If you fish Hippy Cove (right in town) you'll be standing with the crowd casting into the bay. It's not combat enough that you get hung with other people, but you're still standing 15ft from the next guy. If you don't like crowds you can head out to the Eyak or Ibek Rivers and fish from the bank. There are other people around, but it's easy to get spread out.

Even farther from town is the Alaganick River. You can fish near the launch or hike a little bit. Either way it's never crowded out there. If you have access to a small boat it gets even better!! Just pick a river and head down stream. You can always find a sand bar to fish all by yourself. With the exception of the occassional brown or black bear, and always watch out for the territorial moose. I've been run off of sand bars more by moose than bears!!

Hunting is a whole different ball game. There is sooooooo much public land to hunt that there's no way you could ever feel crowded! The forestry cabins offer quite a get away as well. All the ones I stayed at were extremely nice and hunting/fishing was always within a short walk.

8. NewbieDuckHunter

NewbieDuckHunter Senior Refuge Member

Wow. Thanks for all the information, it's really great and has helped a lot. Is the duck hunting around Cordova mainly sea ducks/divers or are there areas to target puddle ducks as well?

Oh yeah, that wasn't me that called, still working on the details of everything but you may here from me once I get things sorted out a little more.
    Thanks again.

9. Ring King

I'd say there is a good mix of both. The sea ducks are obviously out on the salt. The puddle ducks can be found just about anywhere there's a puddle! :dv

This was opening day one year. No boat required. We just hunted a pond off the road about five miles out of town. When I say off the road I mean we were set up maybe 40yds from my truck that was parked on the Copper River Hwy!

[​IMG]

The rest of these are just various trips

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Ring King