Looking for some "must read" books

Discussion in 'Book Forum' started by niceshot, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Mrs. Ripline

Mrs. Ripline Senior Refuge Member

Clive Cussler is great reading, full of action. I also love David Balducci, and Michael Crichton.

2. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

Problem with the classics is that with many of the good stories you have to "wade" through some of the language...

Last of the Mohicans by James Fennimore Cooper is worth the read...

I also really enjoyed The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas, as well as the Man In The Iron Mask or The Three Musketeers (although I enjoyed the former more)... Of course I read these in high school, but I suspect I would still find them to be entertaining stories...

And, admittedly, I enjoyed Catch-22 by Joseph Heller... A satire based on the experiences of a WWII pilot... I read it in high school and college, and found it to be very funny... And at the time also somewhat profound...

And one of my college professors put a couple Tom Sharpe books on the list of classics (although they are not really classics)... His books are extensively vulgar and extremely funny... Riotous Assembly was the book of choice, and myself as everyone of my roommates were literally in hysterics reading that story... It remains the only book that has ever brought tears of laughter (laughing so hard my eyes were watering)... The story pokes some fun at apartheid which was taking place in South Africa...

3. 'tween_fly_ways

'tween_fly_ways Moderator

Sometimes. But it's worth it.

Anyone remotely familiar with bureaucracy--and most definitely the military--should read this book.

4. 'tween_fly_ways

'tween_fly_ways Moderator

Native has a conflict of interest! ;)

5. Joe Guide

Joe Guide Refuge Member

DEATH IN SILENT PLACES...or DEATH IN THE LONG GRASS

by Peter Hathaway Capstick...

You should be able to find them in your Public Library...or Inter-library loan, if you do not want to purchase them. However, I think after you read them, you shall desire to purchase them.

(I lived a year all over East Africa and the Horn) and those two books discussing Africa and Big Game Hunting, and all those nasty things that can easily kill you....may very well become two of your favorite books in your library.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
  6. SpongeRob

SpongeRob Elite Refuge Member

Anything by the Father and Son Shaara, great Civil War History. I read The River of Doubt and loved it, it's about Teddy Roosevelt and a South American Expedition. VANISHED by W Hylton. The Art of Racing in the Rain. Just to name a few

7. OutaShells

OutaShells Elite Refuge Member

I just finished Undaunted Courage.

The first 1/3 was sort of painful to get through and I almost put it away multiple times. I am glad that I didn't. The second 1/3 was excellent, and I couldn't put it down. The last part was pretty good too and I was seeing what was happening before it happened, mostly because of the long drawn out details at the beginning.

Great book.

8. SOUTHERN WOODS

SOUTHERN WOODS New Member

A Confederacy of Dunces - John Kennedy Toole

9. Glades Ranger

Glades Ranger Elite Refuge Member

I just re-read Aldo Leopold's "A Sand County Almanac"(1949) and George Bird Grinnell's "American Duck Shooting" (1901), I recommend both.

10. WVSoloFlight

WVSoloFlight Moderator Moderator

A lot of great books already mentioned...Capstick is one helluva story teller and his words transport you to Africa or South America with vivid detail.

For as good as Capstick is, however, you would be selling yourself short if you haven't read Robert Ruark....Use Enough Gun, Uhuru, Something of Value, Africa....all fantastic readings.

Wanderings of an Elephant Hunter by W. "Karamojo" Bell is great as well.

A Hunters Wanderings in Africa by Selous is another classic.

for North America hunting and birds in particular try Jimmy Robinson's 40 years of Hunting.

Anything by Zane Grey or Nash Buckingham is always worth reading IMO.

If you like military history look into the mercenary stories out of South Africa in the 80's and 90's....anything involving Executive Outcomes is a good read. Shows you the true story of "Blood Diamonds," and not the Hollywood version.
    The military history of Rhodesia and the Selous Scouts / SAS is also some truly remarkable accounts of service in the face of amazing odds.....good stuff. Bush War operator by Dennis Croukamp is also pretty gripping to read.

Good luck!