Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

Looking for Speaker placement advice

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by ziggy4450, Feb 1, 2018.

1. ziggy4450

ziggy4450 New Member

I hunt in west central Illinois (traffic setup, sometimes X fields) and am looking to run a 2nd caller for the first time this year. Our main caller is a 4 speaker setup (2 additional speakers can be added). The second caller is also a 4 speaker setup. I've scoured the forums and read conflicting information on just how to setup with two callers. My original plan was to place the secondary caller downwind and play a track that emphasizes on single barks instead of ground murmur. This call would remain ON, all the time. Then, our main caller would be placed around our blinds/backboards and play the ground noise/murmur tracks. This caller would on/off intermittenly as birds are working. Am I on the right track?

The caller near our blinds/backboards, should the speakers be in front of us, behind us or both?

Should the speakers of both callers be pointed in several directions or pointed upwards?

Lastly, with this system, where would you put your motion?

Thanks for any input. Really enjoy this forum.

870 likes this.
  2. marshmob

marshmob Senior Refuge Member

We run a two speaker for the bottom half and place it in the middle with the speakers sending noise through (not up) the decoys. Usually we angle to cover downwind and sides with the goal of getting the noise all through the bottom half with no dead spots. Typically this is feeding sounds that’s constantly running and medium to lower volume. On top we run a 4 speaker with two behind the blinds about 15 yds pointed up and two in front by the kill hole angled up at 45%. This covers approaching and overhead birds with feeding and bark sounds. I constantly mess with the volume until we “think” we know what they want. But honestly that changes from flock to flock.

I do have a 4 speaker being delivered this week from Juvie which includes an mp3 with all his sounds!!!!!!! I bought one of his tracks last year (feeding with some barks) and it’s the best track yet.

3. ziggy4450

ziggy4450 New Member

Thanks for the input. Where do you typically run your motion in your spread? In front of or behind the blinds?

4. negooseman

negooseman Senior Refuge Member

If, and that's a big if, I were to run two callers, I would never let them/one run nonstop. IMO, complete waste of battery and annoying having to listen to it. Watching for birds is key but listening for them is just as important IMO. If you have an ecaller going nonstop, you can't hear as well. And I still don't get having sounds thruout your spread in areas that are out of shooting range, but to each their own.

5. 870

870 Senior Refuge Member

Interesting idea about utilizing two e callers with different sound patterns...

We tried running two e callers once with not particularly good results. We had thought that differing sound quality between the two set ups hindered us more than helped us , but if your sounds coming from each caller are different enough then that shouldn't be an issue, and I can see it providing a unique stereo like blend.

Keep us posted on how it works out for you. Our spring is still season is still over 2 months away.

6. marshmob

marshmob Senior Refuge Member

The one by us is typically louder than the downwind system. We’re just trying to make it sound more real by sound everywhere with the more excited and louder sounds by the blinds.

7. tornadochaser

tornadochaser Elite Refuge Member

I've gone to completely running traffic, rarely hunting an X feed, and I've found that the more callers and speakers I add, the more birds we shoot. BUT - I've also changed the quality of my amps, speakers, and sounds.

8. CamoHunter870

CamoHunter870 Elite Refuge Member

I also like to run 2 e-callers in my spread whether targeting migrators or feeds. In general a 4 speaker unit goes on the top of the spread with 2 speakers behind the blinds and 2 out front off to the sides alittle bit. Another unit that generally runs 2 speakers goes downwind where I can still shut it off with a remote and the speakers are downwind of that. This unit is on a much softer volume then the top e-caller.

I will play the same track or different tracks on the units depending on what I'm thinking that day. Some of these tracks are one's that I've made using Audacity where I've combined name brand tracks and mix them together.

As far as motion is concerned, either behind our blinds, off to the sides or just alittle out front is my choice for placement.

9. ziggy4450

ziggy4450 New Member

Thanks for the reply. Sounds like solid advice.

10. ArmChair Biologist

ArmChair Biologist Senior Refuge Member

I went from the standard always having some sound and fliers behind you to running everything in front instead. It works much better and birds actually finish in the hole. The only time I'll ever run speakers behind the blind is when it's very windy. The sound is what the birds key in on and want to land next to, just like when you call Canada's. Place the sound where you want to shoot the birds. I've also found that running fliers/rotorys behind you places emphasis on your blinds/hide. You want to draw birds attention away from where you hide, not towards it. Put that stuff in front of you, unless it's super windy.

870 likes this.