Taxidermy Forum Sponsors

Looking for taxidermy videos.

Discussion in 'Taxidermy Forum' started by DWB5, Aug 15, 2017.

1. DWB5

DWB5 Senior Refuge Member

Hey everybody I got a quick question for you all. I am going to have a knee surgery in a couple of weeks which will give me some extra time to do stuff. I have a couple of birds in the freezer that I would like to try to mount myself. Are there any good step by step videos on you tube that are good?Or do I need to order some? Thanks for the help!

2. DWB5

And any info on the tools I would need would be a help. I have the stuff to mount deer so any info on extra things for a bird would be appreciated.

3. Page

Page Refuge Member

Taxidermy Training Unlimited has good step by step instructions. Youll need a wire wheel to clean the skins.

4. bigrick_2u

bigrick_2u New Member

Matt Smith, he's the best. Seriously worth the cash. You won't find what you need on youtube. You may find old school, outdated methods, or just plain old not going to work videos. I saw a video on youtube once where a dude skinned a duck, didn't flesh, and then put it on a mannekin. gnarly. https://www.blueribbonbirdsdvd.com/

5. Hardcore Waterfowler

Hardcore Waterfowler Senior Refuge Member

:amen Do yourself a favor and either buy a wire wheel or make one. I have done both and they are worth every penny. I would recommend a good sharp scalpel or hobby knife too. Something I learned the hard way is don't start with a bird you want to look good. Start with some birds you don't mind messing up on. Then once you get the hang of it then pull out the "trophy" bird.

6. DWB5

Thanks for the help guys. I'm about to paint this last deer of mine,and get through this knee replacement then Lords will ill start on some ducks.