Boats & Blinds Forum Sponsors

Looking to buy a duck/fishing boat. Possibly War Eagle 754LVD ‍♀️

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by quackaddictrecovery, May 24, 2018.

1. quackaddictrecovery

quackaddictrecovery New Member

Hello y’all,

Still relatively new to this forum. I’ll get straight to it. I am looking to buying a fishing boat/duck hunting boat that I can honestly use most year round. I’ll run lines on our local river and rod n’ reel local lakes surrounding me. I’ll duck hunt in Nov-Jan. I’m looking to spend $15,000-$18,000. I’ve done plenty of research and based on it being a hunting boat I’d like the length to be 17ft-18ft. That being said I’ve talked myself out of a side or center console and looking at a 50HP tiller Yammi (Yamaha not Laurel) to run this thing for available real estate to hold gear/decoys/rods/fellow hunters. Please feel free to give me feedback on a War Eagle 754LVD and if it is a good boat to do what I want to do. Tell me any drawbacks or known issues if there are any. I’ve looked on Havocs and Edge’s website as well. Any reason to consider any one of these over a War Eagle? Thanks

2. duckbuster5901

duckbuster5901 Senior Refuge Member

Depending on how rough the waters you travel get look at models with higher sides. I ran a 1756 lowe tunnel hull for several years and although it was a good boat in the river I generally hunt it in it got awful dicey when I took it into coastal bays and things got rough. When I upgraded I went to a 2072 seaark because it had the highest sides and thickest hull in the industry at that time. Those higher sides keep you a lot dryer and when it gets really rough pucker factor is greatly reduced! I also use this boat for hunting with boat blind and fishing .

3. Fowl-Action

Fowl-Action Senior Refuge Member

The best boat advice out there is always buy as big as you can afford. If your between a 17ft and 18ft defiantly go with the 18ft. A foot doesn't seem like a big difference but compare say an 1860 vs a 1754, the 1860 lives a lot bigger which you'll appreciate for hunting and its a lot cheaper to buy a bigger boat at the start then to upgrade later.

Tuleman likes this.
  4. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

I'd never buy less than an 18 footer. I have an 1852. My buddy has an 1860. Both sound like big boats, but when you put in them two guys, two dogs, 4-5 dz duck decoys, 24-36 goose decoys (FBs and floaters) and a couple of layout blinds you realize that they get small quick. I don't do coastal water but we do get windy days on the big lakes and rivers we hunt. I've had lower sided swamp boats and am glad to have a higher sided boat now. I like your idea to stay with a tiller. It frees up a lot of space in the boat. We drive our big tiller mud motors up to 10-12 miles each way to hunt. Get yourself a grab bar for standing while driving. War Eagle are good boats but I think you pay a price premium for the name.

Good luck with your search. Remember the old adage: Buy a boat for what you need it for 80% of the time (there is truly no boat that will do everything perfectly) and make do with it on the other 20%.

callinfowl and Tuleman like this.
  5. NWRINGNECK

NWRINGNECK Elite Refuge Member

I’ve had a 1999 1960 Roughneck running a 50 Suzuki tiller. Made my own blind that comes on and off by hoisting to the ceiling in the shop so I can change over in about 30 minutes by myself. Plenty of room hunting and great fishing in the local lakes. No saltwater around here but our big water gets rough enough until I wish I had a V Hull like a Lund Alaskan. That being said except for the rough ride on choppy water it fits my needs 80% of the time. Lack of storage is the only draw back.

6. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

I've had a 1754 WE with a 40 2 stroke Yamaha since 03. Small enough to maneuver through timber and tight stuff, stout enough to bulldoze through brush and smaller trees. Big enough to go 14 miles out in the ocean on decent days. I've spent about 50 days of vacation with it in salt water in Virginia and Florida. Hauls 3 people , dogs and decoys but I prefer 2 people usually. Good for fishing as well or pulling an innertube..

I have had a few cracked welds but most of that came from being strapped down too tight on the trailer.

I would buy the same rig again!

quackaddictrecovery likes this.
  7. quackaddictrecovery

quackaddictrecovery New Member

This is good to know. Sounds like a tough boat.

Fowler267 likes this.
  8. Dek

Dek Elite Refuge Member

I will add that if you are going to buy an 18', you really need to rethink that 50 idea. I've had a lot of boats, but never had one that had too much power. A 50 would be fine on a 16.

Tuleman likes this.
  9. lax

lax Elite Refuge Member

I'd have a few custom builders quote you a price based on what you want. No need to over pay for features not needed.

10. Rubberhead

Rubberhead Elite Refuge Member

I just had a made-to-order War Eagle built for me. It was actually cheaper than buying one off of a dealer's lot and I got it exactly like I wanted. The boat will be made and shipped to your preferred dealer so you actually buy the boat through a dealer. Study their website and catalog and really put some thought into how you want the boat rigged. Then call and talk to the guys at War Eagle since they have options not listed on their website (like adding a transducer bracket, the best $10 option you can get) and might suggestion something one-off they can do for you.

quackaddictrecovery likes this.