Looking to buy a duck/fishing boat. Possibly War Eagle 754LVD ‍♀️

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by quackaddictrecovery, May 24, 2018.

1. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

Great advice, that.

2. quackaddictrecovery

quackaddictrecovery New Member

Rubberhead, did you get to order the motor with the boat thru War Eagle? I am thinking I definitely want the 754 LVD but I want a bigger tiller motor than the 50HP. Was thinking a 60 or 75 but am doubtful a dealer would put one on that has the HP rating that is over the boat specs. I’m thinking of having the pod seating with a gun box on one side and a 30”ish live well on the other. Duck bill extension added as well with running lights, and trolling motor bracket. Banded edition bottomland camo. Rubberhead, what boat did you go with? Just curious. I talked with a Nick from War Eagle the other day. He also tried talking me into skinning the inside and having everything Linex sprayed.

3. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

I have an 18 foor Xpress with a 60 Yam tiller (max. engine for hull). Great boat and the layout is wide open with a small amount of storage under the front deck. It has the sprayed in liner which I really like.

Cost was right in the range you are looking.

4. Rubberhead

Rubberhead Elite Refuge Member

quackaddictrecovery,
    It was just a 436 (I hunt alone out of a small boat). I already had the motor.

I got the version with the front deck and no middle seat. I had them put the diamond flooring with the extra insulation (for floatation and sound dampening) but not the linex. I wasn't being cheap...I purposefully planned to use some closed cell foam flooring so I could take it out when duck season was over.

If you're going with the bigger motor you should have them put pods on the boat. I wired my boat myself but got the switch panel.

5. quackaddictrecovery

How does the 60HP do with your 18ft? I assume your width is 60”? Was it enough power?

6. Montauker

The width is someting like 57 inches, not a true 60". Tops out at wide open at about 35mph with I think a 13 pitch prop (I think it is a 13).
    With a full hunting load, and not at wide open and 3 people it rides well and does upper 20s.

Something to consider the 70hp is only 7lbs heavier than the 60hp. I maxed out the HP for a tiller on that hull, the console steering will allow for higher HP. Also something to consider, a tiller at that hp is going to be move expensive because of the actual tiller addition. I think Yamaha sells them for $450 ish.

7. quackaddictrecovery

Yeah I understand the console will allow more HP due to coastguard standards. I want to keep an open boat floor plan for hunting/fishing purposes. I just think the 70HP for a 754 LVD would be a good pair due to the fact it’s only 7lbs heavier. I’m thinking I may buy the boat and motor separate due to the fact on the War Eagle 754 LVD the tiller max HP is 50HP.

8. Fowl-Action

Fowl-Action Senior Refuge Member

7lbs for an extra 20Hp seems like a good trade off to me, I've never wished I had less power and an extra 7lbs is not going to swamp the back of your boat.

quackaddictrecovery likes this.
  9. Montauker

Something to consider, a longer boat will give you more space and may give you better hp/speed ratio with a load.

War eagles are nice but are in the upper end on price. You may be able to get an 18 ft with 70 and stay in your price range if you look at other brands, if you can't get there with WE.

Also if you are planning to run lines, a small console may fit your needs without taking up too much space.