Looking to completely upgrade Goose and Duck calls

Discussion in 'Duck & Goose Calling Forum' started by Sstwrt226, Mar 24, 2018.

1. Sstwrt226

Sstwrt226 New Member

Okay guys so I’m looking to completely upgrade my lanyard and could really use some advise . I just started hunting waterfowl last year and got completely hooked. I rarely leave my house without my calls and constantly am practicing in the car. While I’m no champion caller I’ve gotten pretty good and had a lot of success this season even shot a few limits calling birds in on my own as well as with other hunters calling as a team. However now I feel like I’m to the point where my calls are holding me back slightly from hitting more advanced notes or just don’t have that goosey/ducky sound I want that you get in an acrylic or high end wood call. I hunt mainly corn and ag fields but occasionally smaller farm ponds and the Suqhuehamna river. I currently have a Sean Mann Express Shorty and Buck Gardner Honker Hammer (acrylic/poly) for geese and Zink poly NBG and ATM for ducks. One issue I’m really having is I live in northeast pa and no one really carry’s a good selection of calls where I can go try them myself. Also for me I find it hard to compare sound files or videos. I would really appreciate any suggestions or advice.

2. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

First off, welcome aboard.
    You probably don't need advice from me as I'm a beginner with 45 years experience. At one time, I chased better (read more expensive) calls thinking they would make me a better duck hunter. Didn't necessarily work. I have on my shelf some very expensive calls that sound great (at least to me) but that is where they will stay. I found what I needed in a DU giveaway call. I had to do some modifying but now have a call that I have confidence in, is on my lanyard every hunt and I would just sit down and bawl if something happened to it.
    Don't know what to suggest if you are dead set on getting new calls and not having a place to try several out but good luck.

3. Wiscoduckhunt

Wiscoduckhunt Refuge Member

Excellent question ... I can tell you what I like, but that maybe vastly different than what you like. Try stuff ... Buy stuff and trade in classifieds on here ... You will find what you like.

So here I go:

Duck calls: RNT MVP, RM CWF ( CNC Version), Cadnce Closer ... Honorable Mention: RNT Short Barrel, Lares Hybrid, Foiles Deadmeat Mallard, RNT Original, Grounds D Overhauler.

There are many others as well.

Goose Calls: Grounds G overhaler or G Force...also like Field Proven Calls, GK Calls... Molt Gear sound great but have the singular worst customer service ever.....Grounds has the best line up top to bottom in my opinion backed up by the best customer service ever....I liked the one Black Timber Call I ordered. You may like the acrylic models of the Zink calls...many many many folks love gander valley calls ... I think they are horrifically over rated ... I did not care for death row calls ... I like the sound of a bay country shorething but the mount piece is not for me at all...

There are so many good options for both duck and goose. I think all wood is a horrible choice for those that hunt hard and often .... I prefer acrylic.... In both sound and maintenance. Many will disagree with me on the wood call thing, but wood calls just can't keep up with me and I don't think they sound better. They may even call me names and degrade me but whatever .... I think they sound alot like poly carb calls, but I am not a call maker or anything like that. I just won't hunt a wood call. Some combo wood acrylic calls are great but I still like acrylic the most....

Custom vs CNC calls: that is always a fun topic ... From strictly a tonal/ hunting view point paying more for a custom hand turned call does not make much sense ... I have several hand turned calls and don't use them for hunting ... They can't beat out the acrylic cnc'd calls on my lanyard, but they are special and I like them so...get after it and try some stuff ...

Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
  4. Peter Goodman

Peter Goodman Refuge Member

I am not too far off your situation myself. Love in North NJ which is not dactyl a hotbed of call makers, stores that have calls to try (in your case the Gander Mountain in Scranton is closed....), shows where call makers exhibit and you can try out calls, or nearby mentors. So here is best advice I can pass on.

There is no best call. There MIGHT be a best call for YOU. And the only way to find this call or calls is to try a bunch of them and ask for advice. So let's look at your location. Is there a nearby DU Chapter? Jon it and find what calls others find work n your area and where they got the. You might go to the Harrisburg, PA show that I think is coming up (or maybe just over?). Check out Duckcaller.com (I think that is the website) to find regional or state calling championships - call makers and top callers will be there and you can try their calls and ask advice. If you don't mind a stayover trip the Easton Maryland Waterfowl Festival is worth checking out. Found it worthwhile last summer to drive Dow,n to Odessa, DE to Captain Bines in July (large selection of calls to try) for DE/Nirthern Chesapeake Calling Contest.

But try a bunch of calls, ideally with someone present not just trying to sell you something but help you figure out what works for you. I have found the calling community (I guess as long as you aren't ready to go head to head for a championship maybe) are very giving, sharing and ready to help. Have fun on the journey.

5. joecitrano

joecitrano Senior Refuge Member

Brings as you guys are from pennsyltucky n jersey how far are you from Odessa de? It's worth a couple hour drive. That place has about every brand and model under the sun. It's the best selection of brands from small companies to the big names. Not to mention they're very nice folks.

6. theduckguru

theduckguru Elite Refuge Member

I use an old $20 call for 4 different subspecies of Canada geese, snow geese and sandhill cranes on Mississippi, Central, and Atlantic Flyway birds. It is broken and held together with camo duct tape. It is not perfect for any place or any species I hunt, but It is vert versatile call and I call in plenty of birds with it. If it finally breaks, I am getting the same Model.

If I only hunted NE PA, I would get a call that worked very well in that location on the birds you hunt, what ever that is.

7. Peter Goodman

Peter Goodman Refuge Member

From Bergen County BY to Odessa about 2 1/2 hours. To Easton about 3 or so. In laws live about half way (honey, how about we go down to visit your Mom for the weekend...) and with son in college in MD now mix in a patent visit to trip to hunting show. For those who live in Jersey or near Philadephia in September the Ocean County Waterfowl festival in Tuckerton, NJ has NJ State Calling Chamionships and is pretty well attended.

8. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

What someone else likes and recommends are like Chevy versus Ford. Go someplace and try them all out, then buy. Otherwise, going to buy calls that may not fit your air presentation or call operation. I kill plenty of ducks but some calls I can't run but others sound real good. So don't buy before you try. Calls aren't cheap.

9. Wiscoduckhunt

Wiscoduckhunt Refuge Member

Lot of great advice ... I would encourage folks to still tell the op what they have found to be thier go to calls...if it was not for these type of forums I would have never known about Cadence calls or RM calls. You can walk into a Cabela's or bass pro and find most of the major players, but sometimes it is harder to find those call companies that are smaller or not in the Mack's or Rogers flyer .....you can still say find what works for you, but also this is what I like... You can dump hundreds into a few duck and goose calls. It does not hurt to know what others are using. I am like most guys and have a little of everything, some guys take brand loyalty to extremes. There are so many good calls out there, give them a try.

California Flyway likes this.
  10. DOUBLECLUCKER

DOUBLECLUCKER Elite Refuge Member

Nothing really wrong with the ones you have. If you are having success, which it sounds like you are, just keep practicing and get better on the calls you have.

brentbullets likes this.