Looking to completely upgrade Goose and Duck calls

Discussion in 'Duck & Goose Calling Forum' started by Sstwrt226, Mar 24, 2018.

1. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

And you'll be cheating yourself and whatever calls you wish to audition if you don't learn to tune them for personal best fit first.

2. BDavis

BDavis Refuge Member

A little late to the party but for duck calls I have really taken a liking to Ducklander calls. I have a con artist Hancut in Hedge and a sinner in cocobolo. I have not tried a lot of brands but just love the way these calls run. I also have not had any issues with them freezing I. The cold weather we get here late season in MA. I have become somewhat addicted to buying and trading goose calls. I’ve had a field proven aftershock, Saunders traffic outfitter, banded wrecking ball, Zink Nos, Goey Gunner, Rick Hahne Honk hammer in some kind of Burl wood and a Gander Valley PCs in Sugar almond wood. All that remain are the Rick Hahne, Gander Valley and the Goey. The Goey probably won’t be on my lanyard for next season but I’m going to hang on to it for my son as it’s a very quiet call. Anyway good luck.

3. jzoo

jzoo Senior Refuge Member

Here's a vote for RM duck calls and Molt Gear goose calls.
    Pry the best piece of advice i can give is go on the facebook call trader pages and trade calls til you are blue in the face. You can pretty much try out as many calls as you want for just shipping cost by trading other people calls.

California Flyway likes this.
  4. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

My advice on upgrading is........DON"T DO IT....... You'll just get addicted to buying expensive calls like the rest of us.

That being said, I think every duck hunter should own at least one RNT acrylic duck call. Short barrels are great for beginners.

5. ducksinwv

ducksinwv Senior Refuge Member

I like Wood/Acrylic, Wood/Wood, or Acrylic/Acrylic. To me and most I hunt with you can tell a difference in the poly calls. Not saying you can't kill them with poly, but that they don't produce the same quality of sound. In WV we have to keep every advantage we might have because we see very few ducks compared to every other state in the country. I like KES Waterfowlers. Small group out of Columbus, Ohio. The calls aren't cheap but they are all hand spun and hand tuned. The two guys that make the calls are serious hunters in multiple states and the calls are durable but also second to none in sound. Check em out.

6. Mallard Machete

Mallard Machete Elite Refuge Member

If you are hunting in good spots, and smacking birds with the calls you have; keep those calls, period.

RNT, Echo, Gaston, and Taylor Talkers have impressed me with their Duck Calls.

bullpinnie likes this.
  7. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

Sound advice.

The best meat caller that I know uses an $15 DR85, and kills the snot out of em.

Sunklands and bird whisperer like this.
  8. Gmnorris74

Gmnorris74 New Member

I’m all for finding something you can use and something you like as well. For goose calls I typically run a field proven matrix but I also hunt an original Sean Mann eastern shoreman that my dad bought and used in the 80’s. Makes for a great combination on all my hunts.

9. blackdog58

blackdog58 Elite Refuge Member

First, a really good spot can make a caller look really good. Second, a upgrade doesn't mean one has to spend more.

Lots of info, sounds on FB and you tube. Just have to filter out what is good and what isn't....and there is plenty of what isn't.

Getting around good callers, good hunters is the quickest way. Asking, trying, understanding what it translate to the marsh. Just buying something because it looks good, newest angle, cool hat and barrel sticker is the quickest way to spend a lot of dough. Lot of hype in duck calls.

Finding a reputable call maker is as quick a way as getting around good callers. A call maker thats been around a while, has some variety but not overdone, and when speaking with him you get the feeling that he'll be there for you after the sale. Several frequent this forum. Such as, but not limited too, Cadence, Winglock and RM. Echo has a nice line as well.

10. lockingblock

lockingblock Refuge Member

It's a good problem to have, but we are all currently blessed with a market full of good calls.

The question is whether they are good for you...

Calls are subjective to what you think "right" sounds like.

Personally, my # 1 call is a Hagar. Dennis doesn't really advertise as I think he sells 100% of his production without needing to...they are that good. He makes every one by hand in his shop up in AR. I've never seen a better call.

Next...and I hate to say it, because they are somewhat Generic...but a Lares call will be on my lanyard. Timber is my preference. They just work...I agree they sound a bit flat unless you dial it in, but you can buy a reed kit and dial it in so much easier than any other call...no cutting...nothing. Everything fits and it works perfectly. You tune it to you...off the shelf, no cutting.

After that...a Starks. Loud, raspy, and awesome.

Next...an Iverson open water. Flat toneboard full of history that requires some getting used to but will slay ducks on open water.

You could go with a Gaston for any of these as well. David's calls are as perfect as the hands of man can make them. I have one of his timber calls and it is the most "ducky" call I have ever used. Easy to blow too.

Good luck.