Looking to completely upgrade Goose and Duck calls

Discussion in 'Duck & Goose Calling Forum' started by Sstwrt226, Mar 24, 2018.

1. 5Woodies

5Woodies Elite Refuge Member

I really enjoyed reading this thread as we have all been where this guy is at one point . My suggestion is to try as many of your buddies calls as you can . Continually trade calls that might not be right for you . Try every call at every outdoor show you go to . Learn to tune your own call . Cutting different size reeds and changing corks. Practice, practice , practice ! Listen to instructional dvds , learn to read ducks and enjoy each and every minute of it !

California Flyway likes this.
  2. lockingblock

lockingblock Refuge Member

I agree with the above and I will add one thing- Buying cheap may lead to having to buy several. Price is not always the same as quality...but it helps. Personally, I expect to pay about 130 for a really good call. YMMV.

3. mpkowal

mpkowal Elite Refuge Member

As far as duck,so many great ones.I am an Echo guy ,but they might not be perfect for you.
    Goose,call Tim Grounds,he will talk to you,he will listen and advise you what he believes would be best for ayou.He has calls from 40.00 to 250.00 and can hook you up.I have 6 of his calls and just bought another,a Half Breed,simple little call ,inexpensive,easy to run and very nice sound.

4. Sunklands

Sunklands Elite Refuge Member

If your wanting a good goose call buy yourself a poly TG Super Mag. When you get pretty good with it, send it back to him and have him put the triple crown guts in it.

bullpinnie likes this.
  5. Mr. Chokesonducks

Mr. Chokesonducks Elite Refuge Member

My opinion but practice >>>>> call model. For ducks, find any quality single reed (any price) and blow it as much as you can. Like any skill, the amount of time spent on the activity is correlated to your expertise.

Once you’ve mastered your call, you will be able to notice subtle differences in other calls, may want to start tuning your own, and will be able to blow 90% of all calls at close to an expert level. Heavier calls like cut downs and Lares may take some adjustments but with the basics down, you will adjust.