Looking to try to carve a decoy

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by skimerhorn, Aug 13, 2017.

1. WHUP ! Hen

WHUP ! Hen Elite Refuge Member

By all means, do it. It allows you to duck hunt 365 days a year, at least it does me. Whatever you carve will work and you will enjoy seeing birds come in to you own creation.

Billy Bob and Tuleman like this.
  2. goosenazi

goosenazi Elite Refuge Member

The drum sander bits. I use gouges to get basic shape and dremel to fine tune. Sawzall or hackzall work great to rough shape also. If you don't have a dust collector set up, wear a respirator.

3. SWAMPLVR

SWAMPLVR Elite Refuge Member

Find someone local to help you learn. No matter where you live within a reasonable drive there is a decoy carver.

bullpinnie, WHUP ! Hen and goosenazi like this.
  4. gwdecoys

gwdecoys Elite Refuge Member

Do you have a particular species in mind to start out?

5. slayer73

slayer73 Refuge Member

you could always start out doing foamers. They are cheap to get into and minimal tools are needed

6. killerv

killerv Senior Refuge Member

find someone local, it will save you a lot of time, money, and grief...and your first birds will be so much better than if you hack at it by yourself for the next few years.

Whatever you do...don't cut out a bunch of blocks at first, do one at a time. Complete one, then go on the next improving on the previous.

I'd advise you to skip the foam route, if it gets you into carving, more power to you, but my opinion I'd start with cork or wood.

WHUP ! Hen and creedsduckman like this.
  7. Rustygunz60

Rustygunz60 New Member

One bit of advice I would give to new carvers is to first spend some time carving miniatures, around 1/4 scale. While the tools and techniques will not be 100% the same as when carving a full-size bird, you will learn how to make a blank look like a duck faster than you would carving full-size decoys. And since one's first few attempts can usually be improved upon, you waste less time and wood during that process. If the miniatures come out fine, they make appreciated gifts. After 35 years of carving decoys, I still make as many miniatures as I do full size decoys for people.

8. Woodduck31

Woodduck31 Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

I wouldn't necessarily ignore the possibility of starting with foamers. I've been doing them for about 14 years now and still hunt over my own foamer decoys. It will allow you to try out carving without a tremendous investment. Foamers are a lot more forgiving to balance for floating. You can take a foam decoy about as far as any other medium be it wood or cork.
    harlacombe_zpsacffe23b.jpg~original.jpeg

goosenazi likes this.