Virginia Flyway Forum Sponsors

Looks Like AEP at SML is a Waterfowler Hater!!!

Discussion in 'Virginia Flyway Forum' started by Duckrussml, Dec 18, 2017.

1. Duckrussml

Duckrussml Senior Refuge Member

I'm pretty sure it's not a coincidence. As it never fails. But yet again AEP at Smith Mtn Lake has dropped the water level another 2 feet the week waterfowl season starts. Plus they are closing one of the upper river boat ramp due to dredging. So long boat ride if you want to hunt the main river flowing in. Even the other 2 rivers that feed it are a noway in hell are you gonna get up them.... But this is the worst I've ever seen it!!! Every cove I have ever hunted in the past are pure mud flats.... Hmmm sounds like there is a Waterfowler Hater in the AEP office!!!!

2. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

3. DtSB

DtSB Senior Refuge Member

Nothing new. Been this way since I’ve been hunting here the last 12 years. It is what it is. Don’t be a pansy, and crack it wide open if you wanna get up the rivers. And don’t stop till you get there. Not that there’s any ducks up there in low water like now.

Ducks don’t come here anymore since we got 13000 grass carp swimming around. So there ain’t much worth bichtin about these days. The fishing is good in the low water.

Between the grass carp, the ban on homeowner feeding, and the low water they have effectively ended the duck hunting on the lake itself. It’s been several years since it’s been worth the effort out there. Tough beans, but that’s what it is.

4. DtSB

BY the way....

Lake-namer:fp

5. Duckrussml

If it sucks they won't come..... I think I pasted you Saturday around 11am or so....

Plus you can't even run a trolling motor in any of the feeder rivers...

6. DtSB

Yes that was me, I thought you were someone else though. Some jagoff was back in there Sunday morning riding around shooting them out of a light blue Carolina skiff. Give them the finger for us all of you see them out!

And no, you can’t run a trolling motor up in the rivers. But you can get there if you hold it wide open. Getting out is the problem. But like I said, no water and no ducks up there. It blows around here anymore.

Even the geese are few and far between these days. They been oiling the hell outta the eggs the past few years.

7. Duckrussml

Was it between BR1 and BU5? No Idea on the Skiff... No one I know... I hunted a farm pond Sunday. It was full of Hoodies. But who wants to shoot that trash?!!! So I had to watch my dog lose his mind wondering why I wasn't shooting. Odd thing was about 6-10 Woodies were screaming on the water 25 minutes before legal. They obviously roosted there over night. Pond was half sheeted over with ice... But they left in 2 groups about 10 minutes before legal shooting time. All I could do was listen to them screaming and leaving. To dark to even see them with the cloud cover and pond being surrounded by trees.... Heard a few groups of Mallards doing fly byes. But nothing wanted to work....

8. DtSB

Hickman??? Sounds like the pond I hunt from time to time. Nothing but hoodies this year. I’ll kill every one I can. Don’t discriminate.

And yes, you were lookin in the cove and I was heading back towards main lake.

9. Valleyhonker

Valleyhonker New Member

Yea, they've done this before this time of year. Like DTsB, I don't get too worked up over it because SML is never hitting on much. I had better luck elsewhere Saturday and don't plan on hunting there until it really gets cold. I've also seen that skiff before, believe I passed it on the November opening weekend.