Loose stool/bloody discharge

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by Larsen's Labs, Oct 28, 2017.

1. Larsen's Labs

Larsen's Labs Elite Refuge Member

My chocolate male apparently picked up something last weekend on a pheasant hunting excursion. He normally gets loose stools while pheasant hunting but this time it appeared to clear up and then came back with some blood in the stool. The vet checked the stool and found a high amount of bacteria in the stool, gave me some amoxicillin to give twice a day and also suggested a boiled rice and hamburger diet for a few days to get his digestive system to settle down. I am wondering if I should also give him some probiotics to increase the number of healthy bacteria in the digestive system? Any thoughts about this from the veterinarians who monitor this site? LL

2. FieldLabLover

FieldLabLover Elite Refuge Member

All stools have bacteria (E. Coli) so I'm not sure what that is supposed to mean. Probiotics are always a good idea. If he gets any worse, or gets a rise in temperature I would get a different opinion.

3. Doc E

Doc E Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Give the probiotics after you are done with the antibiotic.
    If you give them during antibiotic therapy, the antibiotic will kill the good guys along with the bad guys.

stevena198301 likes this.
  4. Larsen's Labs

That makes sense!! Thank you! The stools are already improving.

5. Larsen's Labs

Sometime back there was a thread about using canned pumpkin to firm up the stools. Will plain cooked pumpkin do the same thing? If so, how much per feeding? If not, why not?

6. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member

Canned pumpkin can be very effective in hardening stool, as well as coating any object your pooch may have swallowed. We had a Boxer who ate one of the store bought pork bones, and it sharded. Vet told us to use pumpkin to coat the shards, so they wouldn't cut/scrape the intestine walls, as it passed. Unsure if "real" pumpkin would do the same thing, but I couldn't see how it wouldn't. The canned stuff we bought was just cooked pumpkin for making pies.

7. Doc E

Canned pumpkin (along with probiotics) is a great supplement.
    Use the pure pumpkin, and not the one already spiced for pie.

8. Larsen's Labs

So is real freshly cooked pumpkin as effective. And would squash do the same thing. I have about 100 squash in my garage that won't all be eaten by my wife and I over the winter!!

9. Dr.J

Dr.J Senior Refuge Member

Yes, the probiotics will be beneficial. Forti-flora is a great product. Stress is immunosuppressive, so next time you go on an excursion start giving the dog probiotics before and during your trip.

10. Doc E

I think that a probiotic called i flora is the best one. It has 16 different beneficial bacteria.

Forti Flora has only ONE so-called probiotic, which is Enterococcus faecium.
    This bacteria has some negative findings, so, sorry DrJ (and Purina).
    This is taken from the Oxford Journal :
    "The characteristics of Enterococcus faecium have led to concern regarding the safety of probiotics that contain this bacterium. The results of an in vitro filter mating assay indicate that a probiotic E. faecium strain might be a potential recipient of vancomycin resistance genes."

Here's the actual link to the whole article : http://cid.oxfordjournals.org/content/32/9/1384.full