Lost Deer... Perfect Double Lung

Discussion in 'Bow Hunting Forum' started by PrairieDream'n, Sep 17, 2015.

1. PrairieDream'n

PrairieDream'n Senior Refuge Member

Yesterday makes the second deer I have lost with a double lung... 18 yards, broadside, watched the fletching go out of sight about 3-4 ribs behind shoulder and about 1/2 of the body. Hunting 16' feet up so I know it got the top of one and the bottom portion of the other.. found a chunk of lung 10 yards away then it was just crawling for blood, a speck here and there for 75 yards, then nothing... Looking for any information you die hard bowhunters could provide about what went wrong, and a recommendation for shot placement. I shot a nice buck last year through the lower part of the shoulder unintentionally, which is exactly where I thought you weren't supposed to shoot them, he went 80 yards, easy recovery, bleeding like a stuck hog the whole way.... can't figure a rhyme nor reason to this bowhunting thing and deer recovery.

Thanks in advance for any input and advice

2. widgeon

widgeon Elite Refuge Member

There is a spot high and behind the shoulder that you can hit, put an arrow through, and hit no vitals. I've done it and know others that have.

Don't know what to think about the chunk of lung though, sounds like you should have found him. Deer just don't walk off with a double lung shot.

3. chcltlabz

chcltlabz Elite Refuge Member

Sorry, but there's no way you center punched both lungs and didn't recover the deer. You could hit them there with a field point and recover the deer. You likely shot over or under one of the lungs. One lung shots can be an absolute nightmare.

4. pukeko

pukeko Senior Refuge Member

I just shot a deer last week and it looked like a broadside double-lung pass thru. He ran about 10 yards and stopped. I waited for him to stumble like a drunk and fall, but it didn't happen. Perplexed, I moved to get into position for another shot but he ran off. I found him and watched him lay down. I could see the hit mark and it seemed good, about the span of my hand behind the shoulder. I put another arrow in him and when I dressed him it appears that the shot was a little low and went under the lungs and was a gut shot. Never had a gut shot that close to the shoulder but that's what it was.

5. quackaholic

quackaholic Senior Refuge Member

Agree that the shot placement wasn't were you think. Seen this lots of times. I suspect that you were father back and high. And what you found wasn't actually lung.

6. PrairieDream'n

It was definitely a piece of frothy bubbly lung.... but maybe I only hit one (?) I was just surprised at the lack of blood. Hands and knees looking, just a spot here and there. Pretty discouraging.

7. IL_Goosehunter4

IL_Goosehunter4 Senior Refuge Member

Happens to the best of us. They can go a long way with a single lung hit and sometimes go a short distance with a bad shot.

I remember one time we looked for a small buck a young man had shot, it was his first deer and a bunch of guys helped look for it. After hours of looking we found him inside a log in a deadfall. The guys had looked in that area multiple times and walked past the log. Strange things happen.

8. huntinjunkie

huntinjunkie Senior Refuge Member

If the hit was where you describe it's dead. Look for the buzzards and coyote sign.

9. Trophyduck

Trophyduck Elite Refuge Member

I agree with CHCLTLABZ. You don't double lung anything and not kill it....recovery is another story. (that's on you to find it) There should have been ample blood to follow as it will come out the nose and mouth as well as the body. One lung hit deer can survive. If not it makes for a long track.
    I knew a guy years ago who always seemed to always make a "perfect" shot....and lose them. I asked him where he was hitting them and he then learned that he was not hitting them where he should have been. He actually was aiming for the wrong spot with relation to his height in the stand and angles of the shots he was making. An example is if the deer was angling away from you and put it tight to the near shoulder....not good. You will miss a lot if not all the vitals if the angle is severe (my friend was doing that) and the initial blood trail will be heavy as muscles will bleed a lot....and also clot and quit soon after. The Lung you found could have been a blood clot (just saying).
    I'm not saying you are or are not doing anything wrong.....just saying that it can be deceiving as to the actual placement to where you thought it was hit.....Hey, I've been there, done that too.
    Good luck!

10. PrairieDream'n

Thanks for the input guys. I'm thinking I got a single lung the more I read these and other forums. Like I say, I climbed down feeling good, expecting blood spray everywhere and an easy trail, pretty disappointing when I didn't. Anyway, there's plenty of season left so should be a lot of chances for redemption!