Lost Deer... Perfect Double Lung

Discussion in 'Bow Hunting Forum' started by PrairieDream'n, Sep 17, 2015.

1. JHerr

JHerr Elite Refuge Member

I've hit them n the "hollow" before, a little high over the lungs but below the backbone. I've also hit them high and a little far back in the liver, which is a definite kill, and absolutely no blood with a pass through. The three I remember that were liver shot, two fell within view, the other I saw the direction she headed and walked up on her luckily.

2. BAWANA

BAWANA Senior Refuge Member

Four ribs behind the front shoulder is way too far back. If you were low gut shot. If you are high it would take a long time for the blood to fill his lungs enough to slow him down.

Attached Files:

3. WoodieSC

WoodieSC North/South Carolina Flyway Forum Moderator Flyway Manager

How long did you wait to look for it? If too soon, particularly if you hit one lung and not two, you may well have pushed it well past where you 'think' it should have lied down. Go back to the area, go farther, and then start circling back parallel with or down hill if it's not flat.

4. chesapeake honker

chesapeake honker Elite Refuge Member

betting you hit one lung, and you may have jumped it in your tracking process...remember, when blood trails run thin, back out and give it a few hours..

5. Wapiti@67

Wapiti@67 Senior Refuge Member

The first thing I find myself thinking is, "Welcome to bowhunting". Losing an animal is always painful, but unfortunately it is sometimes the price you pay for deciding hunt with a bow. The style of broad head is also worth looking at.

6. chesapeake honker

chesapeake honker Elite Refuge Member

[​IMG]
    exit would from a Muzzy 100r 3 blade.. all i have been shooting for years..

Mr_Mallard likes this.
  7. Mr_Mallard

Mr_Mallard Senior Refuge Member

I did the same shot a week ago about ten yards From stand put a perfect shoulder shot on him in my mind.
    But I guess the angle it went in only knicked a lung and took me forever to find her

8. Mr_Mallard

Mr_Mallard Senior Refuge Member

Now there's a exit hole!!!! Didn't take long to find that one I bet

9. PrairieDream'n

PrairieDream'n Senior Refuge Member

Thanks for the responses guys, sorry for the delay, was out of state hunting.... couple responses: I've killed about 30 deer with bow, so was feeling pretty confident, head was Grave Digger chisel tip, first time I'd ever used them (maybe last), waited about an hour to track..... guessing I just hit a single lung judging by the responses.