Lost our field of Dreams ...Which sucks

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by HONKSRWORKN, Oct 8, 2016.

1. HONKSRWORKN

HONKSRWORKN Elite Refuge Member

Damn , Lost our field of dreams it is no longer . For over 10 years I had permission to hunt one of the best fields in our area IMO , right across the street from a (wastewater treatment plant) that holds big numbers of migrating Canada's when they're in our area ...
    My hunting buddy went out to scout for the early season and found 500 honkers in the field but as chance would have it he ran into the owner , and got news no goose hunter wants to hear ... No more hunting because he sold the place ... didn't want anything to hold up the sale so we couldn't even hunt for the early season ... Those fields for over the last 10 yrs have been my refuge , something to look forward to after a long week of work or whatever bad news or problems were forgotten while I was in my layout blind , even on slow days it was a place I had peace and enjoyed mother natures big screen . Even though I am moving up North soon , it was a place I'd been able to come back and hunt had it not been sold . So I guess it's back to look for birds and begging for permission but this time in a place I'm very unfamiliar with and don't know anyone , which is gonna make this season a tough one .. Might have to do more duck hunting instead , love it just not as much as chasing the heavies ... Good things don't last forever , like a great work schedule (4-10s M-Th ) all things change over time ... it was sure a great place to have had the privlage to hunt for those yrs .. I will sadly miss it ... But I'm surely looking forward to a new place with waterfowl abound and fishing opportunities all around .... If anyone in the Chico area likes to shoot geese and needs some help I've got the DSDs , the blinds and can run a call so let me know ...

2. DrakeStar

DrakeStar Elite Refuge Member

All good things must end they say.
    A lot of good fields are being lost each passing season as more and more move here and buy large sections of land and put a 5,000 square foot house on it and fence and gate it up.

HONKSRWORKN likes this.
  3. negooseman

negooseman Senior Refuge Member

Lost mine last year to being developed. 7 minutes from my driveway to the field. Never had to scout, it was under the flyway for birds coming out of the city and between 4 lakes that roosted thousands of birds. It was hard to not shoot your limit.

HONKSRWORKN likes this.
  4. tjones

tjones Senior Refuge Member

Heck, just get permission to hunt the sh!t pond. They probably mow around it, the fence would keep the cripples from getting away. Might be a win/win?

5. DRC

DRC Elite Refuge Member

It's been done my friend !

6. mpkowal

mpkowal Senior Refuge Member

Sorry for your loss,we got lucky and just got permission to hunt 3 ranches in a small valley in central nevada,bad news is its a 3 hour drive.Not going to be able to scout it much but the landowners are willing to call when the geese appear.Good luck,I am sure you will fill the void.

HONKSRWORKN likes this.
  7. Flyfisher

Flyfisher Elite Refuge Member

Bad deal sorry to hear it!! My buddy had a similar scare recently. But all good now...for the time being. Honkers and greenheads at the ranch and no pass shooting at all. One ounce loads or less.. Doesn't matter how low they are..he only calls the shot when they are in the hole. Unreal. I have never heard another shot in all the times I have been there from any other hunters. The place is truly incredible.

8. Big Ches

Big Ches Elite Refuge Member

90% of the fields I hunted growing up have been annexed in to city limits and/or developed now.

Good luck on your new endeavor!

9. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

Ive lost lots of great hunting spots for many reasons,.. New Highway/freeway, new owner, new son-in-law.
    I was lucky for about 5 years I had a small pit in a great field ( for around here) My daughters were the envy of every boy at high school who hunted.
    One year I had 28 4-goose limits out of 33 hunts. Last year I never shot a bird on the field.
    Those incredible places still exist, but Im not willing to spend ten times as much time in the pickup going to a place to hunt then limit the first couple flights

10. HONKSRWORKN

HONKSRWORKN Elite Refuge Member

I guess It happens to all of us , some places are just easier to find new spots and get permission , Out here in Ka (Fresno County) getting permission to hunt anything is nearly impossible unless you are buddies with the right guy , even then its tough , many of the small farmer owned places dont exist anymore as they've been bought out by big co ops that dont allow hunting which is what happend to us .. Last season the owner told his workers he wasn't going to sell his place like everyone else had around had , I guess it goes to show that there's a price for everything , got to hand it to him he got twice as much as the other guys for less property ... If I wasn't moving Id been pretty upset :cry like when I lost my 4-10 schedule and could only hunt one day a week , those were two tough yrs working Tues-Sat only having the two worst hunting days of the week off and nobody to hunt with , lost hunting buddies and time in the field (its not always about the kill , but everything that goes into the hunt that I enjoy , friends , early morn watching the sunrise and experience that you can only get in the field ) .... Getting permission from the city to hunt on the actual wastewater plant isn't gonna happen (even though it wouldnt hurt anything) Kinda funny story though , a few yrs ago some guy leased a field inside the sewer yard and hunted it .. for about an hr ... Homeland Security showed up and took them to jail ... I heard this from the assistant plant manager so it was true ... dont know how it ended up for those guys ... probably not good ....