Lot 001 STEEL Powder...

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Northhunter, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Northhunter

Northhunter Refuge Member

I have 1lb. of this stuff. Never opened. Any guidance on what to do with it? I think the earliest Lot # I loaded with was 7. Anything I remember reading is that it (#1) was quite a bit different than the others (cooler).

I'll throw this in here too, if anyone knows. I googled this to death and couldn't get an answer... theoretical pellet count for original hevi shot (12g/ccm) in 7.5's? Assuming correct pellet size of course.
    I ordered 14lbs of this stuff back in the day. 5's & 6's. I sorted through most of it myself at some point and just never shot much of it. Got a couple pounds of 4's, some 5's/6's and the rest (the bulk) looks to be 7-8's. Suprisingly uniform, just on the small side.

We've been froze for a while and I tend to start digging through my stuff around this time of year.

2. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

You can send me the Lot 1 I'll put it to very good use!!
    Don't have the old load data handy but the original STEEL powder was about 30% slower or less energetic than the STEEL powder we are using now. As I remember there were loads for up to 62 grains of STEEL in a 10 gauge 1 3/8 oz load, by comparison the newer lots use between 42 to 47 grains of STEEL depending on what load recipe you use. The main reason Alliant changed the formula from what I heard was you couldn't get some 12 gauge 2 3/4" loads to work with it correctly.
    I have the pellet count for original # 7.5 Hevi at 320 pellets per ounce and 1.367 grains per pellet.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  3. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

Since we’re talking about lot #’s and their strength, I have some in lot 06 and just purchased a 4 lb. container in lot 17. Can anyone tell me when they changed the lot formula? Haven’t reloaded anything yet with that later lot, don’t want to get it too hot.

4. 10GAGENUT

Lot 6 should be OK with Alliant's load data in their manual and most current load data, think after Lot 2 of STEEL it wasn't as slow as the original STEEL (going on memory here, long time ago) . According to Alliants current techs they never did change the formula for STEEL, however from pressure testing a lot of people have done around Lot 14-16 STEEL started to go overpressure with a lot of load data. From Lot 16 on through around Lot 26 it was still on the hot side, current lots of STEEL in the 30 range seem to be a bit slower than those in the high teens and 20's.
    Best I can tell you, again according to Alliant they never did change anything.

5. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

Thanks 10ga, I’ve heard alliant’s claim to no formula change for a long time too but the results from many experienced reloaders here and on other boards suggest otherwise. My 28ga. HW13 reloads with the earlier lot have shown zero pressure signs with 19 gns. in a 7/8th oz. load. Guess I’ll load up a few with that older lot and and see if I can get them chronied to check them against my earlier reloads. I might even back off a grain just to be on safe side.

6. 10GAGENUT

You should be fine with Lot 6 for your loads.

7. baltz526

baltz526 Senior Refuge Member

I wondered if Steel was an updated AL8 when I opened the first can. Look a lot alike and kind of filled the same slot. AL8 sure pushed the 44 mag to the next level.

8. 10GAGENUT

I've thought about this, pure speculation on my part. At the time that STEEL was brought on the market, Hercules/Alliant was getting their rifle powders made by Scot powder. At the same time as STEEL showed up Scot Solo 1500 disappeared from the shelves and Scot powder was listing Solo 1500 for steel shot loads, also I believe some Activ steel shot loads were using Solo 1500. Could be a version of Solo 1500 later updated to double base type powder, again pure speculation.

9. Northhunter

Northhunter Refuge Member

Thanks, 10GAGENUT. I still dunno what to do with it lol I picked it up at a gun show. When I saw the LOT# I knew it was unique and thought it would come in handy some day, but that day has yet to come. I have a few 12ga recipes I've settled on. Pretty well finished tinkering with them a long time ago. All but one are 2 3/4".

Think there would be any benefit to using it in 20ga loads... HW or otherwise?

Would you sub it for later, more "energetic" runs of STEEL if you were worried about possible pressure spikes in a recipe?
    I know this stuff must have a niche...?

10. 10GAGENUT

Problem is the first run of STEEL wasn't around long enough to experiment with different load types.
    First thing I would do is a volume/weight check of it compared to later runs of STEEL. If you have Lee powder dippers, do about 5- 10 drops from some newer STEEL weigh and average them then compare the weight to the same amount of Lot 1. This will give you an idea of what your dealing with volume wise and if the Lot 1 is off that much from newer lots.