Lotus

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by Greekangler, Feb 23, 2018.

1. Greekangler

Greekangler Senior Refuge Member

EFFBC9A8-5EE8-494D-977C-A12DED6324AE.jpeg need to spay this crap. Big seed pods. Depending on year this east side draws down well. Great BYG candidate. 2.4d or glyphosate? 2oz per gallon or less?

Attached Files:

2. boatdriver

boatdriver Senior Refuge Member

Glyphosphste and LOTS of surfactant/dawn soap. These leaves are super tuff to penetrate.

On the flip side, those lil seeds in the green pods are actually pretty damn good to munch on while in the marsh...

3. Greekangler

2x1 ratio ok? 2oz Glycho to 1oz or go stronger on soap? One application do, or is it like that damn invasive water primrose?

4. Greekangler

I do understand mallards and wood ducks do consume the seeds. Should I just leave it alone and roll with it my lake is about 22 acres. Or maybe spray half and get some barnyard grass In there. I have never dealt with it

5. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

I don't know if it's the same plant but there is a bay on a local WMA that has always been known as the Lilly Pad Pond. In 20 years of hunting that WMA, I had never seen a lilly pad there and the hunting was mediocre at best. Then, all of a sudden, the bay was full of lilly pads and the hunting was greatly improved (mallards & gadwall). The lilly pads hung around for about 5 years and then disappeared again. The hunting returned to mediocre. I was told that the plants had a very hard seed that you couldn't crack with a hammer & anvil but the ducks could deal with it. Apparently, water depth and clarity had a lot to do with when the plant would grow. Food for thought.

6. DisplacedDuck

DisplacedDuck Senior Refuge Member

With that much pond, I think the majority of folks around here would advocate for some diversity. I'd say spray half of it, whatever half is in the shallowest of water, and then try to establish something else there!

7. Greekangler

That’s what I was thinking- the east bank is typically were we hunt. NE or SE. I will probably spray half and seed it-2 oz glyphosate or 2.4d? Both apparently work. Don’t really need selective herbicide when spraying them in the water and would use 1 ounce surfactant I’ve had great success with this mix ratio on water primrose

8. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

Reelfoot is loaded with lilly pads and famous for the amount of ducks and fish it holds.

9. Greekangler

Fowler267 so let nature take its course? Maybe let it be first year I own it and see from there. We got inches up there last week- this topic may be a moot point this year anyway. If she draws down a little bit I may do a little bit of a barnyard grass otherwise I’ll let it be

10. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

I would be cautious about changing things without knowing how well it works as is?

See how the birds like it for a season.