Low End

Discussion in 'Duck & Goose Calling Forum' started by TheCanMan, Feb 1, 2019.

1. TheCanMan

TheCanMan Refuge Member

I try to maintain low register ring on the low end, but am curious how many people drop into monotone and still draw birds with good success.

2. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

Gonna need an example of this one.

3. calling4life

calling4life Elite Refuge Member

Ring or squeal? You talking like Buck Gardner, when in his video he's doing, I believe what he refers to as something like a momma hen looking for her babies, so it's a soft quack that has some Cajun squeal back end to it?

It's not a bad way to add some dynamism to deep low hens, you can also fool around with running clean air, even pinched a little in the beginning finishing to open throat, full voice, raspy hen.

Anyways, post above is relevant enough to understand what you speak of.

Quick hen trailing to just single quacks is a good way to finish birds, just keep quacking and allow that duck to follow it right to where you want him.

4. TheCanMan

TheCanMan Refuge Member

I’m focused on the ring. Carlson calls it the dropout when the pressure drops on the low end and you lose the second note, the buzzy ring, and it goes into monotone. I’m wondering if the quack in monotone can be effective. I recorded the low end ring and the monotone sound on my iPhone as a video to upload but can’t get it to upload, I have to figure out how to get it into the right format for it to upload.

5. Wade C

Wade C Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Think you might be referring to what some call the "Flat Quack". Best of my knowledge it mainly comes from live duck comps - but guessing could have application to hunting situations. Its intent may be to mimic a drake mallard?

{on Edit}
    My understanding is though, that more calls cant do the "flat quack" than can - so guessing that though its likely similar in terms of what youre asking about, and a flat quack - Id suspect the tonal quality might be quite different from the typical call dropping out and calls that can do a good flat quack dropping out.

Stump from RMC might be better able to elaborate on this as I know some of his calls can do a flat quack and he is from the Carlson camp in terms of calling style and familiar with their methods and the 9 mandatories (which is where your example originates). Hopefully he sees this and has some time to add to the discussion.

In the end - overall in calling ducks - using the flat quack or the monotone sound probably has limited benefit. But the more tools one has in their tool bag, the better.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
    TheCanMan likes this.
  6. stumpjumper0531

stumpjumper0531 Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Seth Fields developed the flat quack. He showed up at the shop and I was like whaaaaaa dude that sounds like a freaken live duck. Funny thing is, at World Live some judges hate it (personally I think those that hate it have just never heard it done on stage or are stuck in old dude ways). I was cut hard 2 years ago when I started off with a flat quack. Believe Seth was docked this year for hitting them half way in his routine as well. Seth and Craig Pursley are extreamly good at doing it and Trevor as well. Not all calls will flat quack, this I know. Wont say why just know it's not part of their vocabulary.
    As far as hunting, I use it a ton, ask those I hunt with. Birds on a string get feed and flat quacks till I yell shot them. Love the sound and the tone.

Stump

TheCanMan likes this.
  7. Meach

Meach Elite Refuge Member

Recording of flat quack???

8. Birdcrazy

Birdcrazy Senior Refuge Member

Can somebody post up a sound file?
    Stump... Trevor.....???
    Never heard that sound/ quack before.
    Many Pre Thanks !!

9. Trevor Shannahan

Trevor Shannahan Elite Refuge Member

I’m not good at doing them, I just had one call that would do them well and that is the one I used to start our routine off when we won Team Live Duck. Outside of that one Pothole I can’t really do them on any other call, IMO it’s mostly tuning, and a call tuned to do it isn’t one I like for anything else. In the team I could get away with using it for just the quacks and then switch to my regular call.

TheCanMan and joecitrano like this.
  10. frozen okie

frozen okie Senior Refuge Member

I was flat quacking before it was cool , of course it was the only quack I could do , but who wants to split hairs

stevena198301 and bullpinnie like this.