Lower limits at WMA’s

Discussion in 'Arkansas Flyway Forum' started by buck_master_2001, Jan 24, 2019.

1. buck_master_2001

buck_master_2001 Elite Refuge Member

**** do you guys think of your lower duck limits at WMA’ down there? I noticed many if not all have a 4 bird limit. I’m trying to gather evidence to get a lower limit at ours up here. I want to hear from you guys on your thoughts though.

Do you guys like the 4 bird limits?
    Do you wish they were the standard 6?
    What benefits do you see from the 4 bird limit?
    What negatives do you see from the 4 bird limit?

2. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

If you don’t have birds, limits are irrelevant.

3. rhpierce

rhpierce Elite Refuge Member

Buck, the whole point of the reduced bag limit was part of the esteemed AGFC plan to reduce overcrowding...and it didn't really work. People who wanted to hunt Bayou Meto still did, reduced limit to 3 mallards from 4, 4 total from 6, shell limit of 25 and then 15, reduced hp limit to 25...didn't matter.

AGFC dropped the limit reduction this year and made it line up with the rest of the State. I think enough people told them it was ridiculous that they finally believed it.

There really isn't a reason to reduce the limit in a particular area; in theory, it cycles more people through, or it discourages people who want to be able to kill 6 if the ducks are in, or whatever, but if it's a spot people want to hunt, they will pile in. The only way to limit numbers of people is to do just that; you have to make it so painful that the place isn't huntable...i.e., if Bayou Meto didn't allow any motors at all...pole, paddle or row boats and walk in only. But, there are some areas that it would be dangerous to be in without power...boat ditch that runs past the gate overflows...on high water it would be suicidal...then AGFC looks at a lawsuit. And even if they did, I think there would still be people gunning the fire out of it...but it would probably compress them even more and cause more issues.

I don't know that there are negatives, per se, to a reduced limit, but it just doesn't accomplish what most WMA managers and hunters want, which is about 1/10 of the people hunting it.

bullpinnie and buck_master_2001 like this.
  4. Ramblingman

Ramblingman Senior Refuge Member

Interesting feedback. I have often thought a reduced limit on WMAs would help reduce overcrowding and pressure on the birds. I have a hard time believing it wouldn't help in KS. The places that I hunt are subject to relentless pressure and bird numbers, usage, behavior and patterns have all changed dramatically over the last 10-15 years.

I believe getting guys out sooner would releive that pressure and the birds will respond favorably. The increased use of mud motors has also been a real drag on the WMAs as everywhere is accessible to many. Our birds get pounded and harrassed on every square inch of public waters as a result.

I would absolutely be in favor of reduced limit here. Seems a good thing that your state is willing to try different things to improve hunting for the regular guy. Might not always work as planned, but keep working hard for the folks and the resources and listen to what the hunters have to say.

5. rhpierce

rhpierce Elite Refuge Member

"Relentless pressure" is a relative term. Seriously. Bayou Meto, for example, can have 100 trucks in ONE of its multiple parking areas. The boat races at 4 a.m. at Lower Vallier alone might have had 50 boats in line; that doesn't count the people who came in after the insanity and before legal shooting time to find a hole. But, all it takes is a few groups of idiots on a small area to completely screw everyone... And the truth about several of the WMA's I've hunted down here is that 80% of the people are trying to get "on the X" in about 20%-30% of the area; while I understand that certain areas are naturally better than others, and some areas are "traditional", part of the overcrowding is everyone wanting to hunt the same spots...

I tend to agree on the mud motors...over the past 10 years, I've seen more and more people venturing further and further into the corners of one of the WMA's I really like to hunt. Used to be that we could motor back to a hole or two that almost nobody else hunted; nobody wanted to deal with getting back there...and left a good number of holes unoccupied even on weekends. Now, it's nothing to try and motor back there and pass groups right and left... It's not hard to know where the mud motors are, either...

The only way to get hunters out sooner is to close shooting at an earlier time; there will always be people who stay as late as they can for whatever reason...got out there late, maybe only have a couple hours and want to go anyway, want to spend the whole morning, regardless... Cycling more people through faster just keeps the pressure on.

I'm surprised about the pressure; every bit of your tourism board's propaganda makes Kansas seem like it's almost virgin territory...LOL...I would like to come up there and gun, though...ducks and pheasants...

bullpinnie likes this.