Müller UFO choke tube

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by gglenn13, Dec 5, 2017.

1. gglenn13

gglenn13 Refuge Member

Can anyone weigh in on these chokes? Would like info on pattern percentages/evenness, best shot sizes and loads, long range capability, etc.

2. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

The information you seek is dependent on your own gun and shooting ability.
    We can't provide that. We can only give you anecdotal evidence; i.e. what works for us, which will not be the same as what works best for you because we aren't you and don't shoot your gun.

Remember, a choke tube is a very simple device. The choke's brand probably has less relevance than just about any other factor you can find in waterfowling. There is no magic in any particular manufacturer's offerings, except in the purchaser's mind.

OneShotBandit likes this.
  3. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

As the picture says...
    upload_2017-12-6_15-35-36.jpeg

4. BAYDOG

BAYDOG Moderator- Diver, NY Forum, Refuge Classifieds Sponsor Moderator Flyway Manager

Phelps,New York (Heart of the Finger Lakes)
    [​IMG]

5. spaightlabs

spaightlabs Elite Refuge Member

What are you shooting now? (Choke, load, gun)

What kind of patterns are you getting?

What are you hoping will change?

6. gglenn13

gglenn13 Refuge Member

Right, I was just looking for personal experiences/findings from those who own or have used the choke.

I am shooting a Browning A5 (Invector DS) -- modified choke.
    Currently shooting Nitro Steel 1 1/4 oz 2 shot.
    I get about 77% patterns.

Just looking for a choke that is capable of killing wary ducks who try to land in the 50 yard range outside decoys. Also, I tend to have to clean up a lot of cripples from two of the older gents in my blind who swear by using light loads of BBs and wing most of their ducks, rather than killing them, and would like a tight enough pattern to dispatch longer range cripples without having to waste multiple shots.

I realize a long range choke will be a sort of "niche" choke. Comments telling me of how I will destroy birds at close range are unnecessary. I always change chokes based on the situation at hand. I would just like a dedicated extreme choke for the days when I need it.

7. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

Then you'll have to buy one and pattern it in your gun with your loads. Be prepared to try other loads as well.

Don't be disappointed if no choke performs to your expectations in the extreme tasks you are asking it to perform:
    Shots in the 50+ yard category and dispatching distant swimming cripples are difficult for even the best of shooters with the most finely-tuned guns/chokes/loads.

This is another clue that makes me think you might be relying on a magic choke to make up for other issues you are experiencing. Best advice I can give you at this point: while it ain't the choke, go ahead and buy the tightest Muller you can find. Screw it into your barrel. DO NOT PATTERN IT! Just go hunting, with the confidence that you have a killer choke in your gun and that you can make 50 yard shots. Confidence is worth something. :no :rolleyes:

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  8. buck_master_2001

buck_master_2001 Elite Refuge Member

I don’t have the pictures or any of the info saved anymore from my pattern work with my Mueller decoy but it was the best out of what I tried and compared it to. It’s all I shoot out of my A400. I simply shoot better with it and I hate to even admit that. It’s a decoy choke but I’ve made some tremendous shots on flaring birds and cripples with it.

9. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

That right there says it all.
    I've done a lot of patterning and testing of steel loads at the 50 yard mark, what a lot don't realize is things can and do change very rapidly beyond 40 yards with steel shot. Even with the best patterns at 40 yards as was stated I've seen them completely fall apart at 45 yards and be totally ineffective at 47 - 50 yards. The other associated problem is unless your shooting very large shot, a good majority of steel loads don't have enough energy left at 50 yards to get the job done. As an example on average most steel shot loads loose a minimum of 60 % of their energy at 50 yards, that means your 1400 fps muzzle velocity load is now going 560 fps or less which is under the 600 fps rule of having enough retained energy. Ad into that pattern breakdown and you have a good chance of not hitting anything or if you do crippling it.
    As Tuleman stated if you don't pattern your gun and loads at 50 yards then your wasting your time buying any choke.

Tuleman likes this.
  10. AIRBORNE6869

AIRBORNE6869 Refuge Member

It is OK to waste your time and your money on chokes of differing constrictions, size, color, make, model and whatever other people say. Why is it OK, well heck all the rest of us have already done it. Most of us have several choke tubes we have tried and found lacking. Now those tubes just sit on the reloading bench, never to be used again. So go for it and join the club. Let us know how it works out for you.

AIRBORNE