Magazine Tubes...I just don't get it!

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Tailfeathers, Feb 1, 2018.

1. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

So many issues with semi autos not recycling and a lot of times it is a little bit of crap build up in the tube. Why the heck can't the manufacturers increase the inside diameter of the tube by a hair....literally? Why does it have to be so tight that a few molecules of crap make their gun inoperable? Don't get me wrong, I love precision in mechanical devices but what the heck, the tube just doesn't have to be that tight.:doh No shell is going to jam if theres a hundredth of an inch of " slop" in there to compensate for a little dirt.

" .....and they ask me why I drink."o_O

2. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

Just thinking about it a bit every part of an autoloader has to function properly for correct cycling. Think smooth feeding from the tube to carrier into the action is a given, manufacturers make the tube with wider tolerances and you may not get straight feeding/aligned feeding.
    Just a guess I'm not an engineer.

3. payton

payton Senior Refuge Member

There is a release that moves out of the way when your bolt/action is in the right location, allowing the shell to slip out of the mag tube and onto the carrier. If the tube was larger the release would have to be larger to keep shells from slipping out of the mag tube at the wrong time, which means it would have to move farther/move travel before a shell gets released. I think this would cause even more jamming than a little dirt. IMO

Luigi Daniele likes this.
  4. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

I shoot six autoloaders, and have had my fair share of malfunctions. None of theme have been caused by a dirty magazine tube.
    I DID have one pumpgun get so much dirt and rust in the magazine tube that the spring follower eventually refused to move, but that was after many years of use and abuse.

Recently, I cleaned a friend's 20 gage 1100. It had been neglected so long, and there was so much carbon and rust built up inside the poor thing that the bolt refused to move. It would still feed rounds out of the magazine, though.

5. oldman1949

oldman1949 Elite Refuge Member

6. buck_master_2001

buck_master_2001 Elite Refuge Member

Why do you think the AK is far more reliable than a M16 will ever be? The AK’s loose standards and cheap build quality actually come into handy when it comes to gunk messing them up.

7. Pirogue

Pirogue Senior Refuge Member

This !! Some times sloppy is good !!

P

8. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

AK's aren't designed cheaply they just use a lot of cheaper stamped steel parts, main thing is they have a huge direct vented gas piston vs the AR/M16 which have smaller gas tubes that run the whole length of the guns. IMO one the best combat arms ever made was the Thompson Sub Machine gun but that's another story.

9. buck_master_2001

buck_master_2001 Elite Refuge Member

They are cheaply made with stamped parts and loose tolerances. They don’t have the fine tolerances like a m16 that can’t handle a little bit of grit on the slides. The tests they’ve done comparing those guns is night and day. Sometimes “better built” doesn’t always mean a better gun.

10. tornadochaser

tornadochaser Elite Refuge Member

I've never seen a semi auto shotgun with cycling issues attributed to the magazine, except for when magazine extensions were involved.

LOL the AK/AR reliability argument is tired and outdated. I've seen dozens of AK's that run terrible, and I've seen AR's that go thousands of rounds with little more than some lube on the bolt.

Tuleman and ronaldo like this.