Magazine Tubes...I just don't get it!

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Tailfeathers, Feb 1, 2018.

1. buck_master_2001

buck_master_2001 Elite Refuge Member

I’ve seen my share of AR’s go down in the heat of the moment. They don’t get along with Iraqi dust too well. The AK’s are far less prone to issues when all else is equal.

2. tornadochaser

tornadochaser Elite Refuge Member

Yes, all else being equal, I can completely understand the fine dust causing issues. The AK isn't immune to issues however, especially those available in the US.
    I've seen AK's not cycle when it's 15 degrees F. I've seen AK's slam fire a whole mag. I've seen AK's magazine springs shoot out the floor plate during firing. I've seen AK's gas piston housing separate during firing. I've seen AK trunnions crack due to recoil. There are so many AR and AK variants of wildly varying quality available in the US civilian market nowdays; which is my point I guess...you cannot just say "AK's are better than AR's" or vice versa, because that's simply not the case anymore.

3. buck_master_2001

buck_master_2001 Elite Refuge Member

I wasn’t speaking of AK’s in the US.

I believe the AR is an overall better weapon but when it comes to having to take great care of a gun to ensure it’s rleiable? The AK wins hands down. Think of the people that use them, I promise you they aren’t taking care of them the way we do our AR’s.

4. mudhen

mudhen Elite Refuge Member

Not too many shotgun mag issues, with one glaring exception...

When Winchester XR first came out, the poly buffer leaked all over the place...jammed the mag follower in all my shotguns...

I used to seal the shells with wax/nail polish...