Magical calls

Discussion in 'Duck & Goose Calling Forum' started by jbrown, Feb 10, 2018.

1. jbrown

jbrown Elite Refuge Member

What's the most magical duck call you've ever had or hunted around that maybe your buddy had?? I'm talking about a call that ducks responded to best.

2. Gadwigeon

Gadwigeon Senior Refuge Member

Buddy had a double reed foiles migrator strait meat. You just hit it once and they would turn and it was over. Then after a few too many one night someone decided to "tune" it and it was never the same.

3. ten times better

ten times better Senior Refuge Member

redbone speck weve been playing with 1000's all sob season. ducks -- a rnt little wood call butch made for me while we talked and it still sounds awesome great cajan squeal if u need it I'm 72 and hope it lasts me the rest of my life.

4. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Shame on you for ruining your buddy's call.

Brottboss likes this.
  5. mpkowal

mpkowal Elite Refuge Member

Olt D2,someone made me an offer I couldnt refuse.Should have let him shoot my wife.:doh

6. Brottboss

Brottboss Elite Refuge Member

While not being magical in appearance for damn sure, but certainly performed majic on specs on more than one occasion. A few years back I'd hunted with John who had fashioned a regular referees whistle for specs. He'd use a couple good spec calls as well, but when the whistle would speak the birds couldn't help but finish. The guy was murder on specs. Even the damn dog knew that call was magical, but only in Johns hands, otherwise it was just a tweaked whistle.

7. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

I'm jealous. That would be something to hear.

8. Matt Barnard

Matt Barnard Elite Refuge Member

40 some years ago, I had a Cajun D-100 that was still the best call I ever had. I lost the insert hunting in a cornfield.

9. bruce

bruce Elite Refuge Member

I also had a Cajun call which did some good things for me fifty years ago. Between times, I had one of the original Daisey Cutters, I think it was black and smoke. Stories too long to tell here about good things it brought to us. Allan Stanley Deceiver allowed my humble skills to call a pair of Mallard drakes off a lonesome, busy calling hen in the middle of the lake. These calls I will remember.

10. mudhen

mudhen Elite Refuge Member

Easy for me...

A particular Cecil Welborn call in the hands of a Colusa County CA legend...have never seen anything like it, not even remotely close...

A few other Welborn users, but some faded when the calls lost their magic...

Harry Boyle on a Lares call is/was pretty special too...