Magical calls

Discussion in 'Duck & Goose Calling Forum' started by jbrown, Feb 10, 2018.

1. Nocalhonker

Nocalhonker Elite Refuge Member

Honker Greg Keats Shawman in diamond wood. The call was stolen man I wish I could find another. A JJ lares blue comp call deadly on stormy days just something about it also stolen with above. A homemade little mallard call I made out of a barred owl call nice soft fog call. Lost the tone bell going to try and make a new one.

2. Goose Isle Gunner

Goose Isle Gunner Elite Refuge Member

I've got an older hedge Betts open water that has pulled birds since day one.

3. Rickard

Rickard Refuge Member

I use a Ducklander DLC-300 that Bobby tuned up a while back. I have a shelf full of calls and have rotated through many out in the field. Whatever holy water he blessed it with seems to have been the trick. It's got a bit higher pitch that I'm wondering has something to do with it. Most similar call he makes currently is a HCLT, but not quite.

4. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Haven't run that call, much less given it field time, but my experience with others of high and low pitch inclines me to think so.

5. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

I have an old Lares, fully checkered A5 that on certain high wind days has called Mallards down from great heights.
    I also have an old early model Gaston Straight Barrel that has yet to be bumped from my lanyard. It sounds different that my other Straight Barrels and that difference makes a difference.
    I have a RedBone big bore, brass gutted, hedge barrel, Speck call that Nathan put together for me that has some magic built in.

6. Rick Hall

Funny how that stuff goes, as I'm thinking that's likely the one I sold you, and the Deceiver you were kind enough to sell me has proven just the ticket for super high windy day flights I couldn't otherwise break. I try to give anything with promise plenty of opportunity to prove itself, but wouldn't want to downplay the roll of chance and resulting confidence or lack thereof in a call.

7. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

Rick was the Gaston you sold me a green acrylic with a brass band?
    Glad you have found use for the Deceiver.

8. Rick Hall

Green insert with ivory barrel. Don't recall the band material, and may even be wrong about it being you it went to.

Aside from it having big teeth, we've had a lot of fun with the Deceiver's color.

9. Rickard

Rickard Refuge Member

I've come across a few that could come close on volume to my Deceiver, but that thing is an air raid siren and none of the others are as easy to run from highball to cluck. I chose a subtle smoke color though...

10. Rick Hall

I've a MVP Butch over-bored a skosh that may well be as loud, but I'm not able to stay on it as long and hard (at least with its current lower tuning), and the harder birds are to break in the first place, the harder I've found I need to stay on them to keep their momentum coming my way. Not a lot of point in breaking something, if you can't keep it coming.

huntaholic21 likes this.