Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

Making a rotary

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by grnhd, Mar 23, 2016.

1. DMC

DMC Elite Refuge Member

Monster guts and Wiper motors are cheep and simple but you can run a monster guts motor in a 4 arm but i agree with kid 2 arms are pretty good and easy to make. I have monster guts running 8 arms but that's a lot of work to make so it doesn't break. If you want more arms i would go with a bigger motor. The big ones that turn the f fliers use big real motors but they are a lot more $$ thats why they charge so much. You could build them for basically half of what they charge. Its not rocket science. I have built tons of circus toys and if I was going to start over I would build 2 arm cheep rotaries and if I want more I'd pony up the bucks and get big motors and build what ever you want. But find a group of friends to deploy all of it.

2. jthomp01

jthomp01 Refuge Member

Kid, whats your total cost spent to build per rotary ?

3. isu22andy

isu22andy New Member

Grabbed this out of a 2004 Ford F250 today. Cant make it spin at all , any suggestions[​IMG] ? I figured The green and black as positive and negative as they are larger diamters. Tried the reds as well. IMG_6397.JPG IMG_6398.JPG

4. KID CREOLE

KID CREOLE Elite Refuge Member

isuAndy

Put the ground wire on the metal part of the motor, touch the positive power supply to each wire until it turns

5. isu22andy

isu22andy New Member

Thanks for the quick reply ! hmmm I just tried this , maybe I need to wire brush down the motor to clean bare metal and try again tomorrow ? Ground to aluminum or steel part ? I figured the steel. Motor could be fried by now with all the combinations Ive tried Ha. I was always grounding straight to the battery instead. I did get a click at one time but the motor would not turn just click. I tried the click wire ( yellow positive black negative ) as the negative grounded to the motor and no click. Wish we had an older truck at the farm to rob a motor from I feel like they would be simple. .. Think of all the rotaries I sold for scrape value over the years HA!

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
  6. isu22andy

isu22andy New Member

Update , removed the plastic housing over the motor output, this revealed the worm gear main gear and circuit board with 3 prongs going to the actual electric motor, when connecting a wire to these three prongs, we got high and low speed :tu . So we proceeded to break out the circuit board from the plastic housing and solder to the three prongs so we could use the stock wiring harness and plug! Pretty simple really ! So now we got the motor with high and low speeds all sealed up nice and tight like a stock unit. Stay tuned for more updates. If only I knew how to weld.....

7. KID CREOLE

If you guys can't get a hold of a used motor I would recommend using a motor from a 91 Explorer. New are about $65 at Oreillys

If you need a 4 arm kit minus the motor let me know

8. isu22andy

isu22andy New Member

Our motor is up and running at the moment, what are using for a battery for these things ? A small motorcycle battery got me about 1 hour. Probably run two rotaries and one battery for each. Whats the 4 arm kit run ? Im thinking I could make the arms with 1/4 inch conduit and some of that real thin steel rod they sell.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
  9. KID CREOLE

20161109_154607.jpg

I make a rotary kit that fits a specific wiper motor. It's all aluminium except for the yoke is steel where the arms slide on. Each arm is about 7ft, it comes in two 3ft pieces and one end section that the Sillo flyer goes on, kit comes with a speed control. All parts slide in together, no bolts or screws to mess with

You buy a new wiper motor at your local auto parts, attach motor with 3 bolts, add yoke and tighten, crimp on two wires and you're good to go

This kit in the pic was made for a guy who wanted two rotaries on one speed control

10. isu22andy

isu22andy New Member

Price ? Im thinking shipping from Cali to Iowa will kill us .