Making roux.....

Discussion in 'Cooking Forum' started by Vahunter, Feb 7, 2017.

1. Vahunter

Vahunter Senior Refuge Member

All this talk about gumbo got me mulling a related question....

I love to cook. I might be almost as good a cook as Benny.....:cool: I have started to incorporate the French discipline into what I make - using a lot of stocks, using sauce espagnole, veloute, bechamel, demi-glaze, etc. Been making gumbo from time to time for years.

My question for you Louisiana-cooking-style guys is this: What ratio of roux to stock do you prefer? AND! Do you vary the ratio based upon whether you have a white, blond, or dark roux? I used a sauce veloute where I incorporated blond roux into the stock to make the creamiest turkey soup you ever ate but I CAN NOT get my sauce to thicken right when
    I use a dark roux - both my own roux and store bought.

What am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance.

2. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

I usually make a big batch of roux, then stir it in until I have desired thickness.

A dark dark roux doesn't thicken as well as lighter roux . Thats why I like a "red" roux in some of my gumbos....but dark roux has more flavor, so I'll use that when I make chicken gumbo, and sometimes duck.

forget about using store bought roux.

3. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

Yup, the darker the roux the less the thickening power

4. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

Dark roux is superior for gumbo. To get it thicker, cook it longer with the lid off.

Or you can add okra and/or file, but some traditionalists may scream blasphemy.

tcc likes this.
  5. Benny

Benny Elite Refuge Member

The trick is to pull several scoops of the roux out while it is still approaching peanut butter color and still has some thickening power but little roux flavor. Then you use both, one for flavor and the other to thicken.
    Another thickening trick I use it to keep the onions celery pepper garlic that I use to make the base stock in fairly large sizes so I can retrieve them instead of tossing it out. Then I put them and a little meat into the blender and puree them in the stock water. Put it back into the pot until it is the thickness you like.

This is the best book I ever read on the subject, but honestly, after I went through this stage, I went back to cooking basic sauces because a palate refined enough to appreciate what you did is a rare bird for me.
    https://www.amazon.com/Sauces-Class...id=1486484690&sr=8-1&keywords=sauces+cookbook

6. Benny

They also use file powder to thicken gumbo, okra makes it more slimy than thick I don't use it much.

7. pharmducker

pharmducker Senior Refuge Member

Okra only, no need for file........file does not belong in Gumbo!

8. Benny

Gumbo aint supposed to be thick anyway. It's supposed to be loose.
    If you want it to be thick just cook your rice right in the pot, the starch will
    thicken it up like a risotto. But now you stretchin it out towards jambalaya.

callinfowl likes this.
  9. bullpinnie

I like to use a dark roux, and okra to thicken my seafood gumbo. I'll make the roux, and once it gets dark, I'll add 1/2 of my onions, and cook them until they are clear, then, I add 1/2 the Okra, and cook it in the roux until it is macerated and carmelized. I add the rest of the okra when gumbo is nearly finished cooking.

10. bullpinnie

If you want file, pass it, as table shake.