Making roux.....

Discussion in 'Cooking Forum' started by Vahunter, Feb 7, 2017.

1. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

Fire away!

2. Benny

Benny Elite Refuge Member

I like sticky rice for makin sushi but I like my rice firm and loose with puffed individual kernals for gumbo and red beans, really all things Cajun.
    sushi.jpg
    sushi1.jpg

3. Benny

Either one of these two, same rice, packaged for different markets.
    Latter is in the Latino section and a good bit cheaper.

Cook it just like pasta - way too much water, rolling boil when you add it.
    Stiff cook 20 minutes. Strain in colander and rinse with cold water to stop cooking.
    Dat right dar is gumbo rice if you ask me, but the process works good on other rices as well.
    rice.jpg

4. 3drahthaars

3drahthaars Elite Refuge Member

You know, I like German food too. My favorite is sauerbraten with kartoffelklosse (sour beef with potato dumplings). Well, making the dumplings is a PIA, and I recently found that even the Germans are using Knorr packaged mixes.

It took me numerous tries (it's just like burning a freakin' roux when you're trying to get the dark color and the specs start showing up)... flushed a lot of potato "paste" down the john to get the recipe right. But, I like to make my dumplings from scratch, just like Grossmom!

This has been a great thread... you can see a lot of guys really love to cook.

3ds

Benny likes this.
  5. bullpinnie

I'm partial to Riceland
    [​IMG]

Benny likes this.
  6. Benny

To me cookin with jar roux is kinda like telling a musician
    "play some rock and stop playin that blues, they taste the same"
    I get whut yer sayin though. I do it like grandma used to make! :tu

7. bullpinnie

I pretty much steer clear of any of that knorr mix. Freinds of ours had us over for brunch a few weeks ago. She went to the trouble of making smoked salmon eggs Benedict , but topped it off with imitation ( knorr) hollandaise sauce....which, by the way is nothing like real hollandaise sauce.

8. Benny

I steer clear of ALL of that stuff. It's fake, period. America got fat as a pig eating all that junk laced with this and that for production and storage purposes. I know people don't have time to learn to cook these days and eating out can even be cheaper than cooking yourself but I was lucky and learned to cook.

9. Vahunter

Vahunter Senior Refuge Member

I suppose you need to pick your audience. I made a pork demi-glaze maybe 3 weeks ago on a Sunday. My wife picked up right away that there was no flour in it like conventional gravy(there was flour in the roux). A buddy took a whiff of the frozen leftovers. He could discern a different odor.....

10. Benny

Well they are my friends and I cook what they like.
    I ran a bistro in NOLA for a little while and cooked for higher palates but not as rewarding as serving people you care about.