Making the big bucks!!

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by salthunter, Jun 24, 2018.

1. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

As a kid how did you earn money!
    After about 11 years old each of my daughters baby-sat. My one daughter trained a mini-horse to pull a cart for another local trainer, They helped neighbors weed garden but not as if that was a regular thing. and for girls there just were not may offers.
    Seems like kids just don't have the opportunities to earn money.
    When old enough we had paper routes, bottle returns, mowed lawns, trap boys at the trap club, shoveled snow, scrapped metal, dug weeds, hoed soybeans, picked rocks, and graduated to throwing hay:nutz, trapped muskrats, sold squirrel tails, sold worms and minnows we picked, dug and netted. Raised "tropical fish" mostly exchanged guppies for for fish supplies. And netted wild gold fish

Seems like those opportunities don't exist for most kids now days

WHUP ! Hen likes this.
  2. WARTHOG

WARTHOG Elite Refuge Member

I mowed 23 yards a week between the ages of 13 - 15. Once I was old enough for a "real" job I worked at a grocery store as a bagger, stocker, and eventually cashier still keeping a few yards during the summer. In the later high school years I worked at an Exxon filling station during the school year and then built custom doors and transoms in a millwork division of a company during the summers. The lessons that I learned were that hard work never killed anyone, it was always nice to have my own money, and that I was not ever going to fail out of or quit college because the jobs that I did growing up in Houston were not made for older folks.

WHUP ! Hen and Silver Wings like this.
  3. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

Mowed a few yards early on then graduated to bagging groceries and putting up stock after school and weekends. Then moved on to the drug store putting up stock, delivering medicine and cashier, again, after school and weekends. Had a pretty good gig one summer, driving new cars to the dealership from their port of entry (Datsun). Some came in on a barge closer to the dealership but most entered at Virginia Beach, VA. Had a pick-up and delivery route for a laundry/dry cleaners during one summer. I would finish up the day around 11:00 and had the rest of the day to run wild on my motorcycle.

WHUP ! Hen likes this.
  4. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

mowed lawns and bird boy for local HRC club early on, graduated to shrimp boats when I was a teenager, back to mowing lawns after I flunked out of college.

Timber Hole and salthunter like this.
  5. salthunter

Smarter than me!
    Likely you make more than I earned with a masters in Education:bow

WHUP ! Hen and TheDuckSlayer like this.
  6. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

A lot of money to be had in landscape contracting in my area..

WHUP ! Hen and tcc like this.
  7. salthunter

Lazy "educated" people are making those in your industry a great opportunity, even in many parts of Idaho

We had a highschool, recovering addict, single mom. That will do just great in life mowing lawns, works with her kid on the job, keeps in shape, and earns her keep mowing

8. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

First money making job was selling Daffodils to the neighbor Ladies when I was about 5 years old... Lady Killer!

Later I washed and waxed cars and washed and greased dump trucks from 12-20 or so along with farm work in hay and tobacco.

WHUP ! Hen likes this.
  9. Vahunter

Vahunter Elite Refuge Member

Worked at a tractor/ farm equipment dealership for $3/hr.

WHUP ! Hen likes this.
  10. snipe n

snipe n Senior Refuge Member

Bussed tables when 10 and 11 on Fridays and Saturdays. Too small at 12 to un tangle bales and throw bales out of the wagon so had to stack in the barn till I was 14. Much preferred being outside putting bales on the elevator.