Mallard windsocks

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by Tdawg5664, Aug 30, 2017.

1. Tdawg5664

Tdawg5664 Refuge Member

I just bought 24 fullbody mallards and I'm wanting a bigger spread so I'm wondering how mallard windsocks work. I would have the ducks land in with the fullbodies and have the windsocks out around the fullbodies for numbers. How effective are windsocks for ducks and what brands should I look at if they do work well. I have seen the whiterock socks and really liked them.

2. negooseman

negooseman Senior Refuge Member

Buy a spinner or two.

3. Tdawg5664

Tdawg5664 Refuge Member

Wish I could but I live in Washington where you can only use wind powered decoys.

4. ArmChair Biologist

ArmChair Biologist Senior Refuge Member

Buy them. I haven't bought any mallard windsocks yet but I will buy them instead of fullbodys. If you've ever seen a flock of mallards aggressively feeding in an agricultural field windsocks are actually more realistic then fullbodys. I shoot mallards over snow goose socks all the time.

If you cant use mojo's you should buy a windduk. They are the silhouette wind spinner. They work great, and work as long as the wind is over 5mph. Any of the other "fullbody" type wind spinners I've used are junk. I always use my windduk even when I'm not required to use a wind spinner just to get more flash out there. As long as there's some wind it works just as good as a mojo. If you live in an area that doesn't have much wind you could always rig it to a long pole and wave it up and down to get the ducks attention at long distances then put it down. The wings easily spin with a little up and down motion.

5. tornadochaser

tornadochaser Elite Refuge Member

You might be surprised as to where the ducks prefer to land if you have fullbodies "in the hole" and socks on the edges. We've always run FB and shells for mallards, but I've switched over to deadlies after a few hunts last fall over a friends sock spread. They take up less space, are fast to deploy, and much cheaper.

Also, there are a few companies that make pull string spinning wing decoys, I've used them during MN's non motorized decoy portion of the season with good success.

6. musher

musher Elite Refuge Member

I've been using White Rock mallard socks for a couple years now. I think I have 2 dozen headed ones and 3 dozen without heads. I use them with a couple dozen full bodies. No complaints.

7. Lastflight

Lastflight Senior Refuge Member

I've used White Rock and Deadly. Both are very good, with my choice being White Rock because of the soft head material. We are to the point where we don't run full bodies at all when hunting field ducks. We do, however, run at least 3-4 spinners.

8. Clayton

Clayton Elite Refuge Member

Is Winduk even still in business? Don't see their decoys in this years catalogues and their web page shows everything out of stock. Heck they don't even have a Facebook page.

9. theduckguru

theduckguru Elite Refuge Member

I use all socks for field mallard hunting. For realism, the new SS flocksox are nice, but you will not get the movement you do with other options and the don't back all that small. I like about 75% drakes. There is really not any functional difference in the other stuff out there. The only draw back is sock sucks in rain.

10. ArmChair Biologist

ArmChair Biologist Senior Refuge Member

Well...it appears that they may be out of business. That's too bad. It was by far the best wind spinner on the market. I got my winduk 12 years ago. Back then they had two variety's, a crappy looking painted one for $25 and one with a photo finish for $50. I bought the cheap one and my buddy went out and bought the same one after hunting over it. They're great and it's nice they fit onto conduit so you can make multiple different length poles. Both winduk's still work great today. I guess they just weren't pretty enough for allot of hunters to buy them.

I did see that they still had the snow goose winduk in stock. It might be worth purchasing and then painting it to look like a mallard. If you live in an area you cant use motorized decoys it would be your best option.

Clayton likes this.