Managing Fields

Discussion in 'Upland Game Forum' started by drakewoodie, Mar 12, 2001.

1. drakewoodie

drakewoodie Elite Refuge Member

Hey guys,

How would you guys manage property for pheasant and quail I am going to plant a few feed plots (wheat and milo). Also want to try to start some thickets...what type of brush would you suggest for this?? I was thinking using some wild plums that way i could have my thickets plus have my own little plum thickets....yummmm those things are good.....any other ideals guys??? :) I got the first post besides david

2. Joey O

Joey O Senior Refuge Member

DW, I wish I could help ya out,,, I'd love to have MY OWN fields to manage.

3. OldHunter

OldHunter Senior Refuge Member

There are a lot of variables here. What kind of cover do you have locally? Is it heavily cropped? Pasture? CRP? An ideal situation might be to plant a plum and cedar windbreak within or adjacent to CRP. Pheasants Forever has some good programs you might want to explore. Here in Nebraska they will even cost-share some of the expense of tree plantings and help out with food plot plantings. If you aren't a member, you might want to check them out. I am sure your state G&F could help out too. PF has a food plot mixture of several types of sorghum, sunflowers, millet etc. that not only provide food but also great roosting cover that they offer at reduced cost or even free in some instances.

4. oldsquaw

oldsquaw Elite Refuge Member

i dont think that you can go wrong with Big blue stem, little blue stem, and an indian grass mix. the stuff is tall and the pheasnts love it. plus it produces a nice seed that they like to eat. The seed is kind of expensive though. I think the last time i bought it it was 15$ a pound.

5. wigeonman

wigeonman Guest

I'd go with the milo or millet for food plots. If there is common ragweed around leave that alone as the quail love it. As far as the sand plums go come on down, and we'll give you some seed stock in exchange for some jelly when you harvest them.hehe

6. black eagle

black eagle Guest

I have some sorghum planted along fencelines, and clover as well. Really helps the birds in the winters. Sorgum will stand longer then millet when the winter storms hit. Millet goes down quite easy. If you want millet mix it into the sorghum planting so the sorghum will help keep it standing longer. Another good thing to mix in is corn or giant sunflowers to act as hawk blockers. One drill pass with a mix of any of these can help a thick fenceline winter over a large number of game birds. And if you plant clover and grass on the other side of the fenceline you've got it going on. I've never planted plums but crab apples work well so I don't see why the plums shouldn't help to. Best of luck.

7. drakewoodie

drakewoodie Elite Refuge Member

I will use my plums that way i can eat those plus i get the cover for the quail and pheasant. So the plum gives me two things to use.

8. RProvines

RProvines Guest

I have 5 acres in front of the house that I have let go after planting it to clover and tall grasses. I'm going to bring a grader home from work and dig a small water hole for the birds, 3-4' deep. Then resow with grasses and a strip of corn/sorgum/millet. I'm gradually planting in a few native wild cedars and multi-flora rose. Anyone has any more suggestions, I'm all ears.

By the way, just the way it is now I had nesting pheasant last year. Quail are extinct around here with current farming practices but I'm going to turn some out anyway. If ANY make it I'll be happy. I miss their calling. I haven't heard it here for about 20 years.

9. greatdogs

greatdogs Senior Refuge Member

You might want to check with your Natural Resources Conservation Service Folks. They are in the phone book with USDA, or Farm Service Agency. Here in Minnesota USDA, Pheasants Forever, & NRCS put together a package called Wildlife Food Plot, Fish and Wildlife Habitat Management Guide Sheet. It was on the net at one time but I cant find it now. It covers what to plant, dates, and other good info. Give em a call, & good luck. If you cant find em, give me a shout and I'll get some copies out.