Managing Help

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by Jon C, Apr 16, 2019.

1. Jon C

Jon C Elite Refuge Member

Here is some background. I don't know a lot about habitat...I have been reading articles and watching a lot of videos. I recently joined a small club where we as members are in charge of planting if we want too. The past few years nothing has been planted due to various reasons. This year the members already drew the water down and burned last weekend. There were a ton of cattails that they wanted to get rid of . Members have talked about planting millet and buckwheat. From what I have read is that in my area (central, IL) millet should be planted late June to mid July. The plan is to spay the already burned areas then disc the areas we want to plant with millet and buckwheat. Does this seem like we are on the right track with this? What would be best to spray?
    Also I have been reading up on using natural vegetation for feed for ducks. I think we want some holes to have natural vegetation so we have a variety of feed at the club. I'm not sure about the timing on this. If we spray 2 4d now will the natural vegetation head out and loose its seed before we flood for duck season. I believe we have to start flooding late September.
    Any help/advise would be appreciated. This is all new to me but I find it very interesting.
    Thanks,
    Jon C

2. twall

twall Senior Refuge Member

Jon,

Choose the crops you want to plant, millet and buckwheat. Look at the maturity dates and work backwards. If a crop matures 'too' early it may get eaten out before you hunt it. You also have to take into account that as you get to late summer days are shorter and it may take longer for a crop to mature. Some crops will reseed themselves and produce another crop. Those second crops typically are not as strong as the original. But, they may be fine for food plots.

You will probably need to spray the cattails with roundup. Spring/early summer applications will help some. But, roundup will be most effective in late summer and fall as it gets translocated into the roots.

There will be a lot of trial and error to figure out what works best for you.

Tom

3. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

Make sure you knock back the cattails pretty well, or you'll keep fighting that battle.they're stubborn you can kill them with Patriot, or round up. You can get natural moist soil to grow without planting if you leave your ground flooded, and then draw it dow mid june, then disc. it is way cheaper than planting, and there is usually a good variety of plants. you can manipulated it if it is not cultivated.

4. Jon C

Thanks for the input bullpinnie.

5. Porter Bayou

Porter Bayou Senior Refuge Member

Just an FYI. Cattails spread by rhizomes and seed. Disking them will only aid in spreading them. Best method of control is to keep them dry as often and long as you can and hit them with patriot or round up. You knock out cattails the same way Johnny Cash builds Cadillacs...one piece at a time.

Jon C and WHUP ! Hen like this.
  6. Jon C

Thanks....we are hoping to get the cattails thinned out this year and stay on top of them.

7. Jon C

Thanks alot for the info

8. jwelch973

jwelch973 New Member

I am in your neck of the woods also. I prefer to plant Jap Millet as late in July as possible otherwise the black birds tear mine up way before season. If you want to plant in May I would look at Chiwapa Millet as it takes 120 days to mature. The seed heads are also huge.

Jon C likes this.
  9. Click

Click New Member

I'll chime in on this one, not an expert by no means but we usually have millet flown into our place on the Illinois river in the central zone when the river allows it.
    Ideally if memory serves we try to draw the water off in early to mid July then have millet flown in 5 to 8 days later before all our soft mud dries out. Typically have a good stand of millet and nut sedge doing it this way.
    Last year was the first time in 5 years we were able to get the water off in time to plant. We had a lot of levy and water control structure work that had to take place as well. (LAST YEAR REALLY SUCKED)
    We had it flown with millet twice about a week apart to get max ground coverage when the water receded. Things went well but then the water came up to where we couldn't open the gate to lower the interior water level without taking more water. Millet was looking good but getting very tall due to all the run off and rain, but we kept the water level at bay from the river which would of drowning out. This continued throughout the growing cycle due to the rain fall.

Ended up with millet 6 foot tall plus in 3 feet of water with tiny tiny seeds. Sucks never showed up last year an the ones that did didn't find it until we were almost iced out. Morel of the story, make sure to can control the water level both the inflow and out flow. Combination of being seeded very heavily and slowly rising water we couldn't rid ourselves of made the plant shoot straight an not develop very good seed. Never saw anything like it before and is still the damndest thing I have seen. Never thought millet would grow that tall lol.

10. Click

Click New Member

Almost forgot, when it finally laid over during the season, words can't describe how fun it was to walk through with mid calf deep mud. Just deep enough a dog had to swim, but thick enough it was almost impossible