Canadian Hunters Forum Sponsors

Mandatory guide nonsense

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by TSteve, Mar 17, 2006.

1. TSteve

TSteve Refuge Member

What is this mandatory guides for non residents foolishness? Are the outfitters grouping together and getting greedy? Are they tired of American's coming up and out hunting them? Where is this nonsense coming from?? :confused:

I have been hunting Saskatchewan for 30 years. God willing, I will hunt there another 30. Make guiding mandatory and I will buy one of my many CDN friends a guides licence. Heck, they would probably buy it themselves just so we would come up.

As wonderful as the Prairie People are, I can't imagine who all this negativity towards US waterfowlers is coming from, unless it involves money and that leads us back to the guides.

Sure we come up and out hunt, out scout, and out perform the few local guides we have encountered. We also get to hunt much better places than they do because the farmers and landowners can't stand the guides.

Is that what is driving all this?

2. Britman

Britman Senior Refuge Member

They should setup a tag system for non-res, 3 or 4 days worth of tags, out of tags you're done hunting. But as I don't live out there I'm not in the know, ya know...

I'm sure some of the guys out west will chime in anytime....

3. havenhunter

havenhunter Elite Refuge Member

Is that what is driving all this?

What is driving this? Take a step back and look at this from a residents perspective for a moment because you are only partly right about guides wanting more business.

1) illeagal guide services who gather thier clients south of the border and spend weeks in Canada under the guise of hunting with thier "friends" or acting as a "tour guide". That or call what they do a "duck club".

2) non residents who stay up here for weeks, shoot daily limits and gift birds so they can stay with in possesion limits.

3) It opens up business oppourtunities for the people of Saskatchewan.

Its non discriminatory. If this goes through I can't imagine I will be able to go to SASK to freelance either. The province of New Brunswick has never allowed freelancing as long as I've been here, Thats why I have a guide licence. Now family members from Ontario and NFLD can come and hunt when they please.

4. Dextermutt

Dextermutt Senior Refuge Member

Where can I go freelance in the US? Not being a smart *** but just curious if there are any good spots that can be accessed without having to pay for land access. I'm sure some people want to see it happen for their own benefit (MGs) but I for one think it would help keep tools from coming up and shooting hundreds of birds and throwing them in the woods. I should add that hopefully it would but there are lots of OFs that are tools too lol. :) If you have a $40g truck and a 25 ft trailer and wanna come freelance in Canada for 2 weeks then I'm sure you could afford to pay an outfitter instead and just fly up. Or maybe some might think that they wouldn't get to kill 500 birds if they use an OF??? Makes me wonder what really is the reason that people hate the thought of it becoming more regulated up here. I do think that a tag system would be worth a try, forget the MGs for now and go with a tag system or/or maybe a 3/5/7 day licence, dunno :)

5. Dextermutt

Dextermutt Senior Refuge Member

Haven makes some great points and is probally the reasoning behind the push.

6. tikka300

tikka300 Elite Refuge Member

Maybe it comes from too many dickhead NR hunters rolling in to Saskatchewan thinking they is a stone cold killa machine????:rolleyes:

7. NORSKE

NORSKE Senior Refuge Member

First off this has been discussed for ever and is getting real old.

There is a move afoot in Ab. and Sask to have NR aliens hunt with a guide. And no you cannot get your bud in Sask to buy a guide license. It is a closed shop and all guides have designated area's that are not now or hardly ever come up for sales. A friend of mine from calgary bought one 3 yrs. ago in the lucky lake area and it cost him 50K

Most likely what is gonna happen in all prarie provinces is a limited license, 4 or 5 days max. You will not be able to come and hunt for a week or two just the designated time and one trip a year.

Way too many illegal guides killing waaaaaaaayyy over the allowed limits.

NORSKE

8. TSteve

TSteve Refuge Member

1) illeagal guide services who gather thier clients south of the border and spend weeks in Canada under the guise of hunting with thier "friends" or acting as a "tour guide". That or call what they do a "duck club".

Get rid of guides altogether. Solves the problem.

2) non residents who stay up here for weeks, shoot daily limits and gift birds so they can stay with in possesion limits.

Sure they can. And so can and do resident hunters. If the resource is being negatively impacted by overharvest then lower the limits. That is a no brainer.

3) It opens up business oppourtunities for the people of Saskatchewan.

So would the leasing of hunting rights to farmers and land owners. The rightful people to benefit economically off of hunting if ANYONE does.

Its non discriminatory. If this goes through I can't imagine I will be able to go to SASK to freelance either. The province of New Brunswick has never allowed freelancing as long as I've been here, Thats why I have a guide licence. Now family members from Ontario and NFLD can come and hunt when they please.

I doubt that it will go through. The farmers and landowners don't want guides on their lands and that is the bottom line.

9. havenhunter

havenhunter Elite Refuge Member

a Guide is much different here than out west. We have what is called a guide I or guide II. The guide I is a non professional licence that allows you to accompany a friend or family member and hunt at the same time. The Guide II allows you to take a fee and guide up to 2 hunters but you are not allowed to carry a gun (I don't agree with this). I'm not saying the prarries should go to a system like this but the whole thing should be opened up a bit so more people can take advantage of the economic situation. From what I understand alot of these guides are fully booked a year in advance anyway. The regular Joe Resident who wants to guide should have the opportunity to do it for himself rather than work for an "outfit" for wages and tips.

10. TSteve

TSteve Refuge Member

First off this has been discussed for ever and is getting real old.

Then do not continue to read posts that clearly mention the subject matter in the title.

There is a move afoot in Ab. and Sask to have NR aliens hunt with a guide. And no you cannot get your bud in Sask to buy a guide license. It is a closed shop and all guides have designated area's that are not now or hardly ever come up for sales. A friend of mine from calgary bought one 3 yrs. ago in the lucky lake area and it cost him 50K

It wouldn't matter if the cost were 500k. If any law to that effect passes the shop WILL BE OPENED.

Most likely what is gonna happen in all prarie provinces is a limited license, 4 or 5 days max. You will not be able to come and hunt for a week or two just the designated time and one trip a year.

Ahh but that one is easily solved. Hooray for small land owners.

Way too many illegal guides killing waaaaaaaayyy over the allowed limits.

That is funny. Every time I read the paper about some outrageous SLAUGHTER of waterfowl in Canada it is always by some fool LEGAL Canadian Guide Service.

And again, if our biologists tell us that waterfowl are being overharvested by hunters, then lower the limits immediately. It really is pretty simple.