Canadian Hunters Forum Sponsors

Mandatory guide nonsense

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by TSteve, Mar 17, 2006.

1. blackfoot1

blackfoot1 Elite Refuge Member

IMO, Mandatory 6 day hunting license, 7 day "visitor visa" picked up at the border, and 3 days worth of tags(24 geese, 24 ducks). The visitor visa is free but it makes them have to cross back into the US before a certain date or they get in trouble. As far as Americans complaining about the mandatory guiding.... its their country, their rules and there isn't anything you can do about it. Guess you could move to Canada. Later,B

2. short mag

short mag Senior Refuge Member

blackfoot the idea of a guy from USA owning a waterfowl camp in Canada and supporting mandatory guide regulations is pure greed. I think there should be a law restricting Americans fron owning these operations. The money and greed will ruin the Canadian waterfowling.

3. blackfoot1

Hey mag, I know that if they go to manditory guiding, my business WON'T increase. Anybody that freelances will go some where where they still can and they won't pay for it. Look out North Dakota. You have also seen the majority of people on here saying they would quit going. As far as increasing the number of current outfitters, it ain't gonna happen either. APOS has put a freeze on waterfowl outfitters, they are actually trying to decrease the number per zone. In Sask. you have to buy out an existing outfitter. No increase there either. Hey Mag, there are only about 5 licensed Americans in Alberta. There are over 400 outfitters in Alberta. Greed, lmao, whatever. Later, B

4. Denis Gauvreau

Denis Gauvreau New Member

About 138 licensed Bird outfitters

5. Anatidae

Anatidae Senior Refuge Member

Just the insertion of the word 'mandatory' into the concept of a 6-day hunting license emphasizes an obvious lust for 'control'.

"Visitor visa":clap .......what a 'crock'!:rolleyes: ....and that's bound to win wide support of local merchants.

Fortunately, there's a few resident Outfitters up there that seem to have a better sense of 'community' than is depicted in your comments.

6. Beckstrom Steve

Beckstrom Steve Senior Refuge Member

Next year will be my 8th year up in Canada south of Regina. I first went up with a good friend of mine and we hunted with his mom's realatives who all farm in the area. The American problem could be headed off as most people see it on this thread with two simple things: (1) No gifting of birds or shooting over the possession limit of any bird in one season. A time of 2 weeks could be made for people to return if hunting later. (2) Included in this would be tagging of birds before leaving the field.

I can't agree more about guides, especially American guides in Canada. That will really ruin it for the average guy whether American or Canadian. There is a good place for legislation to start, how about Canadian guides in Canada?

We hunt with Canadians every day of our trip and do well. Last year the hunting wasn't as great as normal as the goose limit wasn't gotten until the next to the last day we were there. None of us brought back our possession limit of ducks and easily could have.

I know the people we hunt with enjoy our company and we enjoy them as many have come and visited us in the states and know they are always welcome.

If we had to hire guides I don't know if we would go with the 2 other guys my buddy and I bring, I could but why? In our hunting field Canadians are welcome and we have hunted with MANy and the friendships are still growing.

Steve

PS: When we ask farmers to hunt many have called us "The Americans who clean their own birds". We have cleaned birds for many farmers and SUPRISE, we don't shoot another for our possession limit. How sad for us to be lumped together with some of the groups here. I would never waste game.

7. tikka300

tikka300 Elite Refuge Member

Americans can not "guide" in Manitoba, only MB residents can "guide" in MB. However, Americans can be "outfitters" in MB and the other Canadian provinces because of the NAFTA.

8. born2shoot

born2shoot Elite Refuge Member

what do you mean they cant be guides but they can be outfitters

9. tikka300

tikka300 Elite Refuge Member

Guides take hunters out, outfitters are camp owners. I updated my earlier post because I was confused as to which province I live in which is Manitoba not Saskatchewan (provinces differ by Wildlife Acts). Here in MB, guides must be a residents of Manitoba, thus NR lodge owners must hire resident licenced guides to take hunters out. This requirement is more relevant to big-game outfitters where the law requires big-game hunters be "accompanied" by a guide - no such legislation currently exists for gamebird NR hunters.

10. blackfoot1

Anatidae, the six day license will take care of all the people bitching that "americans" are staying up there too long. Tags will take care of the people bitching about Americans killing too many birds. The visa will keep them from staying over and scouting or conducting "questionable practices". It was an opinion, there were a few of them listed in this post. I don't care if you like mine or not. Again, they(the Canadian Gov) are going to do what is in their best intrest of their people. You also brought up local merchants....hell, almost everybody(especially Canadians) on here has stated that hunting makes a minimal impact on the community, but then you can argue with them about that. Time for a beer, B