Canadian Hunters Forum Sponsors

Mandatory guide nonsense

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by TSteve, Mar 17, 2006.

1. born2shoot

born2shoot Elite Refuge Member

can americans own outfitting places in sask like manitoba

2. Anatidae

Anatidae Senior Refuge Member

I doubt anything will take care of them. They've already made their minds up. Besides, I think they are a minority when it comes right down to it. I've seen enough favorable comments about NR's and NR freelancers on here to believe there is a large number of resident hunters who have not had a bad experience with NR's. It just depends on where you hunt. If you insist on hunting in a highly publicized staging area before November 1st, then yes.....you may encounter a few more NR's......and the more there are, the lower your tolerance level and the higher the tendency to suspect 'questionable' behavior, but that's what happens when a place gets over-crowded. But for the most part, I think visitors are courteous and respectful (at least, I'd like to think some of us are).
    Not really, because once folks employ conjecture and hearsay, it becomes a habit. They won't have any less cause NOT to accuse the 'unwanted' for things that have yet to be proven by facts. It's a disease. Although, I agree.....tags may discourage the practice of 'gifting', which (by the way), is not entirely illegal in some areas......just 'questionable'.
    The only thing that might cut-down on is NR rogues, and I'm certainly all for THAT. And I've seen more than a handfull of 'questionable practices' by a NR from Ontario that wanted to be an outfitter so bad, that he'd be an easy set-up for a 'sting'. Like taking ducks to an Indian Reservation, transporting other peoples' birds without properly tagging them, double-dipping, not obtaining permission from the landowner to hunt his property, spotting and scouting for outfitters without proper credentials, providing guiding services without an outfitter's license, promotion of co-opping with land owners to limit access or lease fields for his own use, offering me money to purchase and bring decoys across the border so he wouldn't have to pay the duty on them, Offering to show me fields and take us hunting, even though he didn't have the first decoy.......(don't tell me he offered to do that without expectation of payment for services only a licensed outfitter is legally able to provide). So, if you suspect 'questionable practices' , offer a clear definition and notify someone who can investigate and prosecute.......not persecute them.
    I fully agree....but yours really sucks! :yes
    I agree......and I want what's in their best interest, too. So, why are you butting into their business?
    I'm not surprised at that.......and I would go a step farther to say that the way some of the visitors behave, isn't worth what little amount of money they leave for Canadian residents to tolerate their arrogance and presence long enough for the visitors to get what they came for and go home. Nobody would be more embarrassed about some of the stories that are told about 'questionable behavior' if it proves to be true, than I.

My point was to emphasize how 'greedy' the concept of proposing a 7-day visa seems, if outfitters (like yourself) would support that at the expense of potential lost revenue (regardless of how significant or insignificant anyone claims the impact might be) to non-outfitter goods and services. Hunters spend the majority of their trip expeditures for guide/outfitter fees, and licenses. The notion of a 7-day visitor visa just seems a little selfish and narrow-minded to me. There are other services that could be easily be distributed among the communities guides operate in, if the visitors weren't 'forced' to leave so soon.
    No, I actually agree that the impact is probably minimal.....or at least to some degree LESS than what some visitors would willingly admit. I'm not arguing.......just stating my opinion. However, if guides become mandatory, it's safe to say I won't be calling Blackfoot Guide Service. I don't think I like your attitude........Oh wait!.........that's right.....of course!.....you're not Canadian, are you?

3. blackfoot1

blackfoot1 Elite Refuge Member

You won't be calling me???? I won't lose any sleep over it, trust me. ;) , B

4. Fanatic

Fanatic Elite Refuge Member

yes.....

5. born2shoot

born2shoot Elite Refuge Member

well that sucks that people fromth states can own outfitters here and just have someone else get the guiding lisecnese..it kinda defeats the purpose.

6. blackfoot1

All Canadian, Yes you are correct I do have an outfitting licence. You can go to the APOS website and see it. But you are wrong about the other, I have never recieved a ticket from Alberta game and fish for shooting over the limit. NEVER. False statements like that can get you in trouble with APOS. Look at the code of ethics list on the back of your license. Guys last year there were 431 licensed outfitters in Alberta. 5 were American. So 1.16% of the outfitters were American. Now sombody stated there were 138 waterfowl outfitters. So that puts you at 3.6% American owned. Kinda insignificant don't you think?? When is sombody on here going to argue the nunbers? As far as the mandatory guiding issue, it doesn't effect me one way or the other. Freelancers will not pay for a guide, they will go somewhere else or not go at all. I only run one party at a time and I only compete with one other outfitter in two of my zones. I don't want to get bigger, the money isn't worth the headaches. Tell you what, you guys pay my bills and I will quit guiding. :tu I got all summer. B

7. All Canadian

All Canadian Refuge Member

Sorry Blackfoot1 I guess I stand corrected. Sorry if I've offended you in any way. I wasn't implying it was you just curious is all. My humblest apologies

I know there was a case some time ago of an American outfitter working in Canada who did get into trouble it wasn't Sean Manns, Nomad outfitting, Darrel wise or Warrington. Including yourself that's 5 American outfitters that I know of. I wish I knew who it was.

8. blackfoot1

I have another number for you. 10%, that is the number of Americans that are playing on the local hockey team. The rest are Canadian. I don't get bent out of shape about it. Later, B

9. Ontario Gunner

Ontario Gunner Elite Refuge Member

and I gaurantee they are paying income taxes too the U.S.,, are you paying income taxes too Canada or do you do all your bookings in the states and not pay a dime of income tax too the Canadian gov;t?

10. blackfoot1

LOL, ahhhh yes. Canadian Payroll tax, Canadian income tax, GST, and one other I can't get my Canadian accountant to explain to me, I think it is some kind of a business tax. He tells me what to do and I do it. I get taxed on my dogs, goose calls, and decoys when I cross. Did you know I pay more tax for some stuff depending on where it was made. I pay tax on the houses I own. Oh, then I get taxed down here for the income I make up there too. Do you want my BN? Yall have a great weekend, I am going turkey hunting. B