Manipulating jap millett

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by Happy First Timer, Sep 21, 2017.

1. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

Honestly, I have never heard of 70 day corn ( or anything short of 90 for that matter). If there is such a thing, i'd certainly want all of the information that I could get on it. Please share what you can.

2. bullpinnie

I did some googling........

http://corn.agronomy.wisc.edu/Management/pdfs/A3265.pdf

Nothing too specific, but there are 80 day hybrids. but looks like it is mostly for Yanks.

3. bullpinnie

4. hannibal

hannibal Senior Refuge Member

Yield loss gets significantly worse the later you plant. Here is the estimated yield loss (potential) based on planting dates in Missouri (I'm sure this varies by North vs. South but generally gives you an idea of typical yield loss with late plantings. I don't think it has anything to do with Nitrogen when comparing Missouri to say Kentucky as I'm guessing nitrogen levels are as good or better in our bottoms than in the South country. Certainly adding some nitrogen to help a crop does not hurt and would not argue that. The loss after June 15 gets exponentially worse losing approximately 2 bushel per day later in planting. In this view almost 1/3 less yield on June 15............if wait until July would be less than 1/2 (or worse). There are other obvious factors contributing including weather but length of day, heating degree days etc. that impact and those could be better in some years vs. other but as a general guide it is clear there is severe yield loss the longer you wait to plant in our neck of the woods.

Missouri

Planting date Yield potential (%)
    May 1 94
    May 6 92
    May 11 89
    May 16 86
    May 21 83
    May 26 80
    May 31 77
    June 5 75
    June 10 71
    June 15 65

5. hannibal

hannibal Senior Refuge Member

And BTW our farmer who has planted for many of the duck park areas over the years has found that full season corn still out produces short season corn even when planted later. He says the short season varieties just don't produce as well. Could that have changed some with the advance maybe? May have to give a small plot a go next year and do a little side by side comparison by planting a small spot late with full season corn next to short season corn. Would be an interesting experiment. I would never risk it on a very big area but a couple rows of each would be interesting to compare.

Curious about the variety you are using that is 70 days as well.

6. S.King28

S.King28 New Member

I've never used the hybrid's I just know that there are some out there and I'm not arguing that the yield would be less but if you're planting for ducks even 80% yield isn't horrible.. I've only planted regular pioneer seed before but I planted it about mid July and had amazing results.. maybe this had a lot to do with the fact that this ground had been moist soil for years before so I'm not sure if that had something to do with it but I was very pleased with the results. Maybe all the variables were perfect for me..