Manipulation of grain fields --legal or not legal

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by bang you'r dead, Oct 27, 2017.

1. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

Correct... there are big grain barges on a river down here... hundreds of ducks gather around them (usually divers) to eat spilled grain... illegal as hell to hunt near it, you will get cited... by letter of the law, it's even illegal to try and intercept waterfowl going to or from the baited area..

2. dux/24 7

dux/24 7 Elite Refuge Member

Its not baiting but they will say it is. Another made up rule, like most of them......i cant feed my cattle and hunt near it, but can flood perfectly good corn and hunt it:sp:sp

tomturkey likes this.
  3. theduckguru

theduckguru Elite Refuge Member

Your country interperates the baiting laws different than the US. We can’t dump 20,000 lbs of grain in a field every week, post it baited, and shoot a marsh 440 meters away like they do in Ontario.

4. dux/24 7

True, but no way to know where any duck or goose is coming from or going to everytime. Another stupid rule, pretty much unprovable. Some will say that mojos manipulate or draw birds to an area that they might not have been going otherwise. ...... same BS gray area.

5. thatguy2

thatguy2 Senior Refuge Member

I know some guys that got tickets and lost in court hunting a pond between the City of Emporia and Braums dairy (back when it still existed). So it can be enforced.

6. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

There use to be a heck of a good pond to hunt back when the Neighbors had a pig operation , once a week they would wash the corrals out into
    a ditch , it flowed into a slough covered with trees . We laid a board across the ditch to form a dam and cut a small trench to allow those tailings
    to run out into the corner of a native pasture . It didn't take long for birds to find it , along within a couple months everything starting to grow in and
    around the 3/4 of a acres edge . With the ground staying muddy with each weeks flushing , there were some days it would be covered with Ducks .
    It has become a inherent spot as a dairy moved in for waterfowl , even tho , we made this honey-hole , 40 years ago !

7. dux/24 7

Still BS. Im sure they got tickets.
    Most pastures around here have grain in the cow pies.So almost everywhere this could be inforced. And this includes state waterfowl areas.

8. Clayton

Clayton Elite Refuge Member

Back when we used to have a lot of migratory geese here it was pretty common to broadcast wheat or ryegrass on the mudflats of the lake, which was drawn down during the winter for flood control. This of course was far from a normal agriculture practice. As long as it had sprouted it was legal to hunt over it but considered baited if it had not sprouted.

9. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

Baiting laws just mean if a FED agent is having a bad day or is an A^&*^% he can ticket you no matter the situation. It takes money and knowing the right people to be above baiting laws.

Tuleman and OneShotBandit like this.
  10. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

How True ,how true.......!
    I know of a great place to hunt Doves every opener , the rancher who is a big time campaign contributor to ( local political figures) plants 30 acres of
    Safflower each year , just for the purpose of inviting the same group of (20/25) people . Low and behold it includes the County Sheriff , our DA and
    several Supervisors of the county along with friends . This Safflower is matured 2 weeks before the season and Flailed scattering its seeds throughout
    the 30 acres for opening weekend , then , raked and baled to be hauled off......By the end of opening week , we are strategically positioned to thin
    the flocks of birds heading that way , Am I wrong to do so , as it's a good flight coming from somewhere ?