Canadian Hunters Forum Sponsors

Manitoba bound

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by javman, Sep 10, 2016.

1. javman

javman Refuge Member

Our group is headed to the Dauphin area the 2nd week of October. It's been around 7 years since we have made the trip. We used to shoot a few snows while we were there. Can we expect to have any to hunt or have they shifted over to Saskatchewan? Thanks for any information.
    JJ

2. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

Not a snow has come through our area yet. We are north and west of Dauphin. Usually they have poured into here by now. I would say the snow goose flyway has shifted further west, but we'll have to see. The weather in Churchill has been warm (thanks global warming) and is to stay in the low to mid teens this week (celcius) with a SW wind predominating, so I doubt anything will migrate yet.

3. LABMAN1000

LABMAN1000 Refuge Member

transplanted buckeye now living in manitoba
    Snows light in our area . To much canola planted here now .They are still around but numbers less each year . Are you self guiding or using outfitter ?

4. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

I keep my windows open at night, and have heard maybe 1 flock fly over , and that is it. I am so glad I purchased all those snow goose decoys in the last couple of years. :doh

5. javman

javman Refuge Member

We are on our own, we do have a buddy that lives up there that helps us out abit.

6. recker999

recker999 Senior Refuge Member

Your goint to knock the snot out of the divers if you hunt them.

7. LABMAN1000

LABMAN1000 Refuge Member

transplanted buckeye now living in manitoba
    drivers very very light on Lake Dauphin last year

IOWA DUCKMAN likes this.
  8. recker999

recker999 Senior Refuge Member

Really I thought that area was thick with divers.

9. morduks

morduks Elite Refuge Member

We hunted 3 days in Manitoba N of Winnipeg over 9/21-23. Saw exactly 4 snows and they were 4 Ross' eating in a field with honks. We killed our dark geese each day. btw, non-residents are limited to 5 dark geese per day and only can hunt them until noon. Very few ducks. Was told that we were too early for decent duck numbers and that the snow flyway had moved way to the West. I can confirm that I did not see any snows until I approached the Sask border. If I were to go back it would be in late October but shooting 5 canadas per day does not really do it for me so I will likely stick with Sask in the future. I will say though that the fishing was terrific. Lots of walleye and OUTSTANDING catfish fishing.
    Tom B.

10. musher

musher Elite Refuge Member

Drove back from Sask on Saturday. Passed through Winnipeg on the way and saw a lot of darks in Manitoba. Snows were to the west as were most of the duck sightings.