Shooting and Reloading Forum Sponsors

Marlin Goose Gun

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by fireduck, Jan 3, 2017.

1. fireduck

fireduck Elite Refuge Member

Trying to buy a Marlin Goose Shotgun with full choke and 36 inch barrel. I've not had the chance to look at the gun yet. Would it be OK to shoot steel shot 2 or 3 shot from this gun-12ga. Just looking for opinions. Thanks fireduck (Kenny)

2. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

I'm not going to guarantee it you won't have any problems as most of them were never made to shoot steel shot in, IMO you should do OK with small steel like 2's or 3's.
    Big question is why do want to shoot small steel shot in such a long barreled bolt gun ?

3. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

I saw one develop a buldge midway down the barrel, 1 season after the guy started shooting steel. I'm not saying 100% that the steel caused it but IMO it was likely what did.

leftyhunter and Waterdog Trainer like this.
  4. sleeping_dogs

sleeping_dogs Senior Refuge Member

I used to hunt with guy who would use the 10 ga version of that gun to shoot cripples when duck hunting. It was pretty effective.

5. Waterdog Trainer

Waterdog Trainer Senior Refuge Member

I would advise against it. Don't take a chance on it coming apart.

6. fireduck

Always wanted to add this gun to small collection. It would be used mostly for shooting cripples- and maybe on a good goose hunt. At this time I believe Bismuth is the cheapest shell I can shoot. It will always be a conversation piece. Thanks for the help! fireduck

7. jzee

jzee Elite Refuge Member

Many posts throughout the years on these, I have the12ga hanging above my fireplace, cheap wall art. $75 with a cool leather sling, and the 10ga hanging above a door. Shot the 12 in some Annie Oakleys, never shot the 10. In one of the posts a guy stated and I think gave serial numbers on the later made models that could handle steel. Buddy use to shoot one back in the day, he wasn't very accurate, but he always got off 3 shots.

8. cajunduck man

cajunduck man Senior Refuge Member

I never had one but a couple of my buddy's in high school did...pretty cool guns. I have a friend who has 2, a 10 and a 12. He sawed off the barrels just below the choke so they are legal. He uses them as a slug and buckshot gun for deer in the marshes over here...they are deadly.

9. fireduck

I did a lot of research about shooting steel- in the end I went to my local gunsmith. Based on measurements and thickness of the barrel- he will be putting in rem chokes. I told him only 2 or 3 shot would be shot through the gun. He did not see any problem. He asked me did this gun kick- I don't know as I have not shot it yet!? Anyone one else using rem chokes? Thanks fireduck ( Kenny)

10. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

More correctly, he is threading the barrel for the Rem Choke style. You can go anywhere and get different chokes, if you want.

API likes this.