Minnesota Flyway Forum Sponsors

Marshall,Minnesota

Discussion in 'Minnesota Flyway Forum' started by mpkowal, Jan 24, 2018.

1. mpkowal

mpkowal Elite Refuge Member

Got a chance to goose hunt around a small town near Marshall called Ivanhoe.My friend is from there and says there are a few decent opportunities to get a few geese there.
    Having a hard time figuring out the license prices,although he will know.Anyone know what would be the best time of the season to hunt around there?I know its' not an exact science but any info would be appreciated.
    Also would love to meet any Fugers that are from that area and maybe hook up for lunch or dinner or maybe a cocktail.Thanks,Mike.

2. Iowa

Iowa Refuge Member

My opinion, probably last 2-3 weeks of Goose season some of the best hunting. Alot of times you'll have snow on the ground. Makes it easier to hide.

3. NR

NR Elite Refuge Member

First two weeks or last two weeks. Depends if you like it hot or cold. You'll need State NonRes Small Game License (3 day / $75, season long $105), State Stamp, Fed Stamp, and if hunting the septmeber season you'll need the Special Canada Goose Permit.

Does your buddy have solid landowner contacts and successfully hunt around Ivanhoe every year? True freelancing in MN is a tough game but if you like asking permission and don't mind denial, have at it.

Where you coming from?

4. mpkowal

Coming from Las Vegas,Nevada .He grew up in Ivanhoe and has family that hunt and a few friends that hunt also.He goes back yearly but only showed interest in geese 2 years ago.I have no problem asking and denial is the norm here in Nevada,mostly because there is such limited opportunity.
    Thanks for your time.

5. tornadochaser

tornadochaser Elite Refuge Member

I'm not going to speak specifically to the immediate area around Ivanhoe, but generally, permission in southwest MN isn't too bad to gain. If you can't get on the X, you can usually get under the flight line still.

6. mpkowal

Thanks,don't want to squeeze in on any spots,just any general info about the area.I think we wouldn' even mind meeting any guys that live up there just for camaraderie. We will have a trailer and should be pretty prepared.
    I would also like to find out if We need any decoys besides Canadas.

7. tornadochaser

a few spinners, and a duck floater spread. Might as well be prepared to hunt what ever opportunities present themselves.

8. mpkowal

Are duck fullbodies needed.

9. tornadochaser

They don't hurt to have along, either for mudflats or field hunts, but you're not going to have super pressured mallards that have seen a months worth of spreads consisting of 4 dozen honkers and 2 spinners in that area either. When we have pressured birds here in SD we tend to go with an all mallard field spread or a snow goose spread. When I'm up in MN, I usually don't have a problem using canadas and spinners if I find a field with wood ducks &/or mallards hitting it. Options are nice, but don't think you need to tow along the kitchen sink.

MJ1657 likes this.
  10. mpkowal