Chesapeake Flyway Forum Sponsors

Maryland guided duck hunt

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by Jeremybittler, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Jeremybittler

Jeremybittler Refuge Member

I'm look to go duck hunting on Maryland's eastern shore for the first time . I was looking at outfitters and there are just so many it's hard to pick the good from the bad. I'd like to go out for the easiest kind of duck to get since it'l be my first time..any feed back into good/bad outfitters would be amazing

2. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

Almost all of the ones who are worth going with have a four gun minimum. Almost none of them focus on ducks, most focus on geese and will hunt ducks when conditions allow and we actually have ducks here. Some years that is around Christmas, some years we don't get the.

Search this site for past recommendations but generally the following are routinely suggested and with good reason:

Chesapeake Guide Service in Chestertown
    Quakerneck (focuses on ducks but expensive)
    Tidewater Guide Service in Easton

I suggest the following: Ask specific questions and let them know you are new to hunting and I also suggest asking questions here.

3. Jeremybittler

Thank you for all your advice

4. mooseknuckle

mooseknuckle Elite Refuge Member

New waterfowlers should goose hunt first to get the idea and experience. Goose hunting is generally an easier hunt and are generally easier to hit.

The Other David likes this.
  5. Jeremybittler

I'v kinda got my mind set on getting a duck mounted..also the thrill of duck hunting.i was just wondering if there are any companies to avoid going with as a beginner and anyone who is amazing wit h beginners

6. Montauker

Bittler- Where are you located? You may be better off going with one of the Potomac river guides on the VA side who focus on ducks and I think take singles (group you with other singles).

I also second Moose's thoughts. For a new waterfowler I think you would get more satisfaction out of canada goose hunt.

The Other David likes this.
  7. Jeremybittler

I live in Gettysburg now but am from Westminster md..I'd like to get a trophy duck and I understand what your saying but geese don't interest me

8. Montauker

What do you consider a trophy duck? Is there a certain species you want or just any kind of duck?

9. Jeremybittler

For the first hunt I would gobafter what the guide recommends is "in" at that time

Cfoty likes this.
  10. Mr_Mallard

Mr_Mallard Senior Refuge Member

A trophy duck for the eastern shore is a canvasback, bull sprig, blue wing teal, black duck..... in my opinion
    Any duck would be a trophy if it was your first one though