Mathews bows?

Discussion in 'Bow Hunting Forum' started by lad52, Jul 23, 2004.

1. lad52

lad52 Elite Refuge Member

I'm looking to buy a Mathews bow for elk & deer. I've never had a bow before or hunted with one and am lost when it comes to the terminology, but I want a model I can shoot as a beginner and will still be a great shooter as I gain experience.

Can any of you guys (or gals) recommend a model?

Note: I'm guessing bows are probably like guns in that everyone has their favorite manufacturers, but I'm stuck on Mathews so please limit suggestions to their bows.

Thanks all.

2. branthntr

branthntr Senior Refuge Member

check out the outback and legacy in the newer models the q2 and mq1 in older models if you can locate them. but most important is to go to a pro shop and shoot the bows and get properly fitted for your draw length.

3. lad52

lad52 Elite Refuge Member

Will do. I don't know my butt from my elbow when it comes to this stuff and I want to get started right. Thanks for your help.

4. bret stanbridge

bret stanbridge Elite Refuge Member

Mathews are smooth shooters. You won't be disappointed.

5. SHOOTumINtheLIPS15

SHOOTumINtheLIPS15 Elite Refuge Member

first off boys...dunt get a mathews. they suck...best advice i oculd give u is get a hoyt!!!

6. misfire

misfire Senior Refuge Member

My advice is to shoot every Mathews bow you can and go with which ever one feels good in your hand.

I would look at the longer axle bows and narrow grips. I think those two features will enspire confidence and accuracy.

7. hard-to-tell

hard-to-tell Refuge Member

i prefer parker bows myself. a few guys i work with shoot mathews and they were really impressed with my parker.
    but this is my opinion the choice is up to you. and the parker is about half the price.

thanks hard-to-tell

8. DORR

DORR Refuge Member

You've picked a good brand to start out with. All of the big name bow companies make great bows, Mathews are some of the best...don't let anyone tell you differently.

Check out www.mathewsinc.com and go to their forums. You can then ask some of the more experienced shooters what they think would be a good beginners bow.

Like these other guys have said, shoot a lot of different models and have someone from the proshop help you with your form.

I've shot the FX, Legacy, LX, and the Outback and all are quality pieces of equipment but each fits the shooter a little differently. There's sure to be one that fits you. Good luck.

9. jjtroutkiller

jjtroutkiller Elite Refuge Member

Have you ever shot a Mathews or are you just talking smack? I would bet by your post that you shoot a Hoyt.:l Seriously I have shot most of the big manufactures bows and did not have any mechanical problems with any of them, the one I like the least was a PSE Fire Flyte Express but then again that was years ago and the bows of today are much more advanced. I currently shoot a Mathews Q2 as well as most of the people I work with and none of us have had any problems and so far it is my best shooting bow.

10. Red

Red Senior Refuge Member

Look hard at a Legacy or Outback. Getting the the correct Fit is just as important as which model you pick so go to a reputable dealer and have it done right the first time. These bows will amaze you at how fast you can pick them up and be consistant with them if set up right.

Good luck