Mathews bows?

Discussion in 'Bow Hunting Forum' started by lad52, Jul 23, 2004.

1. wkochevar

wkochevar Senior Refuge Member

Fit and feel = confidence. Straitmeat summed it all up pretty well. I've been shooting a Matthews SQ2 for 4 years now and still really like the bow. I tried all the other long A2A bows and for me the shorter SQ2 felt and shot better. Short axle bows should not be overlooked anymore regarding forgiveness, accuracy, etc. Another benefit for me out here in the Rockies chasing elk is the weight and handling of the bow on those all day hikes through the mountains, less fatigue and less hang ups on trees,shrubs, etc. you'll definitely appreciate a shorter bow then. I'll sum this up by saying with my SQ2 with 60# DW, 100gr Thunderheads, I've taken 2 bulls at 34 and 28 yards. one bull was near 900# on the hoof, both were recovered less than 100 yard away. it's all about fit, feel and confidence....go with the bow that will provide all three of these components and you can't go wrong.
    Kip

2. peewee

peewee Elite Refuge Member

Alot of folks around here are going with the outback. I have a Mathews MQ 32, it does the job for me, its quite, light and pretty fast. I dont see myself buying another bow for quite sometime and I have had this one for 4 years.

3. Fur and Feather

Fur and Feather Elite Refuge Member

lad...there are several bows that are as good if not better than Mathews!!! Granted, the full line of Mathews as a whole are very good bows and they do not make many inferior products. It's a good name.

I have owned several bows over the years and am shooting what I currently feel is a very smooth, quiet, and consistant bow in a Martin Cougar. It is just a matter of shooting several bows and finding what fits best for you. Mathews to me felt very rigid on the draw and I like a smoother drawing bow no matter the draw weight. I also hunt turkeys and want a smooth draw because I may be holding at full draw across my chest for extended periods of time. This bow that I have now does that for me. I continue to shop though as there may be a better product that comes out at any time. Who knows.

Mathews, like many other bows have a small grip. This makes it very important to ensure that your bow fits you perfectly or your forearm is gonna let you know that it does not.:eek: Sights, peeps, kissers, doinkers, shafts, and broadheads are a lot of other choices you are gonna have to make. Just like anything else, there is allways someone coming out with better products or better marketed products all the time.

I have found that many of these come and go, but some real advances have been made in sound dampening, arrow shafts, and fiber optic pins. That's really about it.

I could care less for artificially lighted sights, mechanical broadheads and the rest. Keep this in mind. Every bow on the shelf is gonna kill big game period. From there it is up to you to find one that feels right.

Good luck and let me know what you pick out. You never know, I may want to buy one too.:nutz

4. champcaller

champcaller Senior Refuge Member

I you have sholder problems a Mathews Icon is the smoothest drawing bows they have. It has the cocentric solocam and a little longer ata. Go to www.archerytalk.com and you can ask any question you need to are go to mathews talk forum. Hope this helps. :tu

5. lad52

lad52 Elite Refuge Member

Thanks for all the help boys. Now all I have to do is get a kitchen pass from momma to spend some MORE money. :tu

6. SPED

SPED Senior Refuge Member

I shoot a Hoyt, but I'm certainly not saying that it is better than a
    Mathews. I've also owned and shot PSE, Bear, and Browning bows. They are all good. The key is finding one you like and learning how to use it to the best of you ability. Which requires a lot of practice.

My brother just bought a Mathews Ovation. I'm looking forward to seeing how it shoots. I'd bet that it is going to be a winner. 40" a to a make a real smooth shooter.

SHOOTumINtheLIPS15 -
    I'd suggest you use spell check - it will at least make you sound a little more intellegent.

7. Rick Godsey

Rick Godsey Elite Refuge Member

Once you get your bow fitted and start to shooting..practice practice and practice. There will be days you shoot like robin Hood and days you just cant settle down. Dont give up learn your peak performane point and you'll know how long to spend at it. Also dont think its a sport you can pick the bow up a couple of weeks before the season and be ready. But i guess the key point is dont be afraid to ask questions. A post i put in today shows what no experience can be like. I was handicapped and didnt think i should help the newby. And feel bad about it. But thats a different story. Good luck on your choice and good hunting!

Leaky :D

8. FOWLMAN1

FOWLMAN1 Elite Refuge Member

Hey shooteminthelips15 or whoever you are, thaught you know more than most of us here, For one thing your spelling is off and the other thing you dont know jack crap, because you know it very well that Mathews has better bows than hoyt. Come on say it with me here ill even say it slow so you can understand .
    M A T H E W S ..... H A S .... B E T T E R .... B O W S .... very good 15 your on your way!!:tu

9. Mr. Harvester

Mr. Harvester New Member

I could swear at the begining in his post he asked to please limit your replys to mathews bows, as he has already made that decision.

10. bkhunter

bkhunter Elite Refuge Member

I shoot the legacy and love it. Smooth shooting and no problems.